Saturday, March 22, 2014

Megan Rambles About Personal Demons

Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers
From GoodreadsFrannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping everyone at a distance---even her closest friends---and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same . . . until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can’t seem to stay away from him. 

What she doesn’t know is that Luc is on a mission. He’s been sent from Hell itself to claim Frannie’s soul. It should be easy---all he has to do is get her to sin, and Luc is as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance. But he has to work fast, because if the infernals are after her, the celestials can’t be far behind. And sure enough, it’s not long before the angel Gabriel shows up, willing to do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for. It isn’t long before they find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie’s soul.

But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay . . . for all of them.


Personal Demons has been sitting on my shelf for awhile. I read the description and thought it sounded really interesting and then just didn't get around to it. I am SO GLAD that I finally read it because it was so entertaining! 

I had actually planned to read something else, but then I happened to see Personal Demons and read the first page. I was sucked straight into the story from there and I couldn't put it down. It was fast-paced and a quick, fun read. The perfect book to pick up over my winter break! 

I ended up really liking Frannie as a main character. She was the rebel in her goody-two-shoes church going, Catholic family. Frannie was sarcastic, sassy, and even badass when she had to be. What's not to love about a girl who got kicked out of Catholic school for asking too many questions during religion class? I could see how some people might not find this to be an appealing characteristic, but I did. Frannie is also quite skilled in judo and has a habit of flipping guys who piss her off over her head. I couldn't help but root for a girl who had the misfortune of having the first name Mary, along with her other siblings, all sisters who were also named Mary. I mean who does that to their children?

It's not very surprising then that Luc, which is short for Lucifer, both gets along with and irritates the crap out of Frannie. The two of them had some great witty banter going on and some serious flirting. Luc had great character development throughout the entire book. When he first showed up he was totally focused on tagging Frannie's soul for hell and then getting out of town. Eventually as he spends more time with her, he starts changing and gradually becomes less of a jerk. He ended up being a character I could really root for. I think most of this was because the book was told in alternating perspectives between Luc and Frannie. Without the insight into Luc's thoughts I probably would have liked him a lot less. 

Gabriel I liked a little bit less, because he was just so angelic. The guy seemed like he was Mr. Perfect who never did anything wrong. I could have been biased based on the fact that his point of view wasn't in this book though. Maybe if I got more insight into his thoughts I would like him a bit more, but in Personal Demons he was just kind of there for me. To me there wasn't ever really an option between Luc or Gabriel. If I was in Frannie's position I would have been team Luc all the way. Still, I'm interested to see what Lisa Desrochers does with his character in the next book. 

Personal Demons was a great read. I had fun learning about the characters and reading the story but there wasn't a lot of emotional trauma involved for me. It was the kind of book that I enjoyed and am definitely going to read the sequel, but it wasn't the best book I've ever read in my life. I would definitely recommend reading it to anyone who's looking for a quick enjoyable read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment