Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Rachel and Megan Ramble About City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
From Goodreads:
The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace has been freed from her captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive to rescue him, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing–but so is the boy she hates, Sebastian, the son of her father Valentine: a son determined to succeed where their father failed, and bring the Shadowhunters to their knees.

No magic the Clave can summon can locate either boy, but Jace cannot stay away—not from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Lilith’s dying magic has wrought—Jace is no longer the boy she loved. He and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become what he most feared: a true servant of Valentine’s evil. The Clave is determined to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. Will the Shadowhunters hesitate to kill one of their own?

Only a small band of Clary and Jace’s friends and family believe that Jace can still be saved — and that the fate of the Shadowhunters’ future may hinge on that salvation. They must defy the Clave and strike out on their own. Alec, Magnus, Simon and Isabelle must work together to save Jace: bargaining with the sinister Faerie Queen, contemplating deals with demons, and turning at last to the Iron Sisters, the reclusive and merciless weapons makers for the Shadowhunters, who tell them that no weapon on this earth can sever the bond between Sebastian and Jace. Their only chance of cutting Jace free is to challenge Heaven and Hell — a risk that could claim any, or all, of their lives.

And they must do it without Clary. For Clary has gone into the heart of darkness, to play a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing the game is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she even still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love?

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.


*If you have not read any of the Mortal Instruments books, you might want to leave. There will be spoilers for the first four books in this ramble, and also none of this will make any sense to you.*

*Also if you have issues with two crazy teenage fangirls sharing all their feelings with the internet, well, this really isn't the blog post for you. Because we get a little bit insane.*

Rachel: Okay. I'm going to take a risk and say that this is Cassandra's best book yet. YES I KNOW I SAY THAT EVERY TIME. But I think that's because with every book, she just gets better and better. Because this book...WOAH. ALL THE FEELINGS.

Megan: I'm definitely going to have to agree with you. There was sooo much about this book to love! All of the point of view switching...it was done so well!! AND I DEFINITELY FELT ALL OF THE FEELINGS.

Rachel: It's so weird comparing City of Lost Souls to City of Bones. All the characters have changed so much. Especially Simon. He's no longer Clary's nerdy, awkward, geeky friend. HE IS A HOT VAMPIRE WHO IS HOT.

Megan: SERIOUSLY! And I love that as Cassie writes more books she adds more and more points of view to each one. We really got to see inside every characters head in City of Lost Souls, which is so different from City of Bones with almost all Clary's point of view. And these poor characters. The situations they are put in just keep getting worse and worse!


Rachel: I kind of just want to hug all of the characters. Especially Magnus, because he is my FAVORITE. And okay, can we please talk about Sebastian? BECAUSE OMG. Cassandra Clare, congratulations on writing such an amazing villain. Sebastian just has so many layers! For the most part, I'm all AHHHH EVILLL I HATE HIM. But then sometimes...I feel like I understand him. BUT THEN I'M RIGHT BACK TO HATING HIM. How does she manage to do that?!

Megan: I HAVE NO IDEA!!  But I was the same way! I started this book like AHH SOMEONE KILL HIM I HATE HIM SO MUCH!! As I started reading more, I realized that some of what he was saying actually made sense. AND THEN I WONDERED WHAT WAS WRONG WITH ME. See what Cassandra Clare can do? She makes me question my SANITY!

Rachel: She is a genius. Like, she takes a totally dark and creepy book and adds humor and romance to it. Even in the most tense, AHHHH IS SOMEONE GONNA DIE NOOOOO situations, one of the characters would have a hilarious one-liner that made me burst out laughing. And uh, the steamy kissing scenes? The ABUNDANCE of steamy kissing scenes? OH WOW.

Megan: YES. ALL OF THE KISSING IN THIS BOOK. Holy crap. There were a lot of couples that moved in new directions in their relationships in this book. And I won't really say who, because no spoilers. I think the humor might be my favorite part of Cassie Clare's books because she just uses it so well! I could be crying in the middle of one of her books and still laugh because someone said something funny. And it isn't just Jace. It's all of the characters. After reading this, I think my only objection is WHY SEBASTIAN WHY DO YOU EXIST.

Rachel: I've been hearing that some people really like Sebastian. I AM NOT ONE OF THEM. He...I just....NO. NO NO NO NO. (Although he's a fascinating character and a really interesting villain with lots of surprises.) But he's a horrible person so I hate him.

Megan: Yeah I don't understand how some people seriously like him. He is a really well written character, but I really, really hate him. The good thing is that the list of characters in the series that I love only keeps growing. Reading this was so stressful!! And now someone has to die in City of Heavenly Fire?? No matter who it is I am going to be an emotional wreck. I guarantee it.


Rachel: DON'T EVEN TALK ABOUT IT.

Megan: YOU'RE RIGHT YOU'RE RIGHT. We'll just completely forget that that's going to happen. Anyway, I really can't get over how intense this book was. It seriously stressed me out.


Rachel: I know! I can't wait to read it again!

Megan: And again, and again. I don't even understand how these books torture me so much, and I always want to go back and read them again.


Rachel: THAT WOMAN. I HATE HER BECAUSE I LOVE HER SO MUCH. WHAT A GENIUS.


Megan: I KNOW. ALL OF THE FEELINGS. Cassandra Clare makes me feel ALL OF THE THINGS.


Rachel: Yup. So, if you're reading this post and you haven't read City of Lost Souls yet...What is wrong with you? Please go read it immediately. And then come back so we can talk about it together. :)

Megan: And if you have, feel free to leave a comment below letting us know what you thought. No spoilers please!

No comments:

Post a Comment