Thursday, September 20, 2012

Books I Read in School

So the new school year started and it sucks. But you know, whatever. I just have to survive three years of high school and then I'm done.

Anyway. I wanted to do a school-related post, so I figured I could talk about some of the books I've read in school that I've liked. Let's start this list around seventh grade, because I can't remember anything before that.

Seventh grade:

The Outsiders by SE Hinton

Half of the population of the world would probably consider this their favorite book. That is a totally accurate statistic right there. I thought this was a great book and I'm glad I was introduced to it.

Eighth grade:

Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee

This wasn't actually for a class. It was for GATE (Gifted and Talented Enrichment because I'm super nerdy) and my teacher was the best. Seriously the best teacher I've ever had. This book/play/thing was more of a fun Let's All Read This Together thing than an assignment, and I thought it was brilliant.
  
Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick

This is a really amazing book. At first I was all "ew why would I want to read about a middle school boy when I could read City of Bones/Divergent/Delirium/other series I discovered in eighth grade", but I ended up loving this book.

Ninth grade:

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

One of the best books ever written. I was already planning on reading this before it was assigned as the summer reading, and I love everything about this story. Of course, sitting in class as my classmates discussed "how bad the book is", "how much they hate Hannah", "how Hannah's reasons are stupid", etc. was incredibly painful. It hurts my heart that not everyone got the enlightening, life-changing experience from reading this that I did.

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

I read this before it was ever assigned in class, and it is absolutely amazing. The writing style is beautiful, the story is heart-breaking, and Melinda is easily one of the best protagonists in YA.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Reading this in school was super boring and annoying, but I really enjoyed it anyway. Atticus Finch is one of my favorite characters in any book I've ever read.

The next few are books that I didn't actually read for school, but they're classics and I'll probably have to read them for school at some point so I thought I'd include them.


I absolutely love Holden Caufield. THE TEEN ANGST.

Can someone please buy me this shirt?!
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

I read this for Nerdfighter Book Club (DFTBA) and really enjoyed it. It's about burning books (and some other stuff) which is a subject that I have a lot of FEELINGS about, and so this is an important book to me.


I freaking love this book. The characters and the parties and the symbolism and the ending. Ugh, this book is just brilliant.

This shirt too please.
So yeah. Apparently I can enjoy classics just as much ALMOST as much as I enjoy YA. :) If you have any recommendations for me, please let me know!

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment