Thursday, September 27, 2012

Rachel and Megan Ramble About Nevermore

(For the record, we started writing this post a few days after the book was released. But life happened and so we are finally able to post it now.) 
 
Nevermore by James Patterson
From Goodreads:  
One last chance...
For Max, Fang, Angel, Iggy, Nudge, and Gazzy.
Before it all ends.

Are you ready for the final chapter? Are you ready for the ultimate flight? Because THIS IS IT. One last incredible, explosive adventure with an astonishing ending that no one could have seen coming.

Megan: Well, the end of Maximum Ride....I think it's only fair to start this ramble off with two warnings. 1. This is the last book in an eight book series, so if you haven't read the rest of the series, you may want to leave so we don't accidentally spoil you! 2. This ramble may accidentally turn into a rant as Rachel and I have many mixed feelings about this series. On that note, Rachel? Start it off?

Rachel: WTF DID I JUST READ?!

Megan: I DON'T EVEN KNOW. Should we start with the parts that kind of made sense? Sort of?

Rachel: I'm sorry, what parts? I just...what...I don't know...this book is INTENSE. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO FEEL RIGHT NOW.

Megan: ME NEITHER. I mean the beginning was the only thing where I actually knew what was happening, and I kind of hated it because the characters just WEREN'T ACTING LIKE THEMSELVES. I think someone needs to explain to James Patterson that there is a serious difference between character development over a series and RANDOM  personality changes for no reason!

Rachel: Yeah, what happened to the badass Max from all the other books? As soon as Dylan shows up, she becomes all mushy and non-Max-like! Her toughness and strength and sarcasm and overall badass-ness is one of the main things that made me fall in love with the series, and now it's gone?! On a somewhat related note: I hate Dylan. I don't hate him because he's Not Fang or anything like that, I hate him because I don't understand his purpose in the story.

Megan: I don't either. There are so many times where things are happening and Dylan is just off in another room, no where to be found. If you have to stick a character in a corner off-scene in order to have anything happen, then there is probably a good chance THAT CHARACTER DOESN'T NEED TO EXIST. Honestly, the only reason I'm "Team Fang" is because I don't understand Dylan's reason for existence. At least Fang has a reason for being there.

Rachel: Dylan sucks. Although, I must say, we did get to see a bit of character development in Nevermore, which was great. In the other books, he was just kind of taking up space for no reason. But in this book, we saw a different side of him. I mean, it didn't make me like him or anything. But it made me hate him less. So that was impressive. :D

Megan: Yes! And the character development that actually sort of made sense. My biggest problem with this book was the fact that the plot made absolutely no sense half of the time. Something would happen and I was all "Wait. WHY did that just happen?"


Rachel: Yup. By the time the book ended I was thoroughly confused. I was expecting so much more from the LAST MAXIMUM RIDE BOOK EVER! THE EPIC FINALE! But there were some good things about Nevermore. Like Fax. :D

Megan: Yes! There was much Fax, which was very entertaining for me :D There were still a few funny one liners weaved into this one, which I missed in the past two books. Still not as many as the first three books, but I was back to laughing at the characters.


Rachel: Yeah. I mean, the first three books were the best. I wish the rest of the books had lived up to them. Any Maximum Ride fan can tell you about the long and painful journey they've had with this series. I'm actually glad it's over. No more emotional investment...

Megan: Me too! Now I can just pretend that the series stopped after the first 3 books! Or you know, we could write a new ending to the series ourselves! :D


Rachel: Yes of course. FANFICTION TIME! Anyway, if you've read this series, what are your thoughts on the final book? Let us know below!

No comments:

Post a Comment