Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Today's topic is Top Ten Favorite Authors In X Genre (Ex- Top Ten Favorite Science Fiction Authors, Top Ten Fave Contemporary YA authors)
Here are my Top Ten Contemporary Authors:
1. Sarah Dessen- I discovered her books when I was about twelve, and she kind of changed my life. Her books are what made me fall in love with YA, and they're what made me realize I wanted to be a writer.
2. John Green (aka the Token Male Author)- Because all of his books are amazing and he is one of the most...er...unique...people in the entire world. DFTBA. :D
3. Maureen Johnson- I love how all of her books are wildly different from one another, but they all manage to be so good. She writes some of the funniest main characters that are really easy to relate to.
4. E. Lockhart- Her writing is humorous and dramatic and incredibly entertaining. I especially love the Ruby Oliver books, because they are absolute perfection.
5. Kody Keplinger- Each of her books has fantastic protagonists, hilarious supporting characters, awesome plots, and cute boys. I love how her writing has a very feminist feel to it. There is so much girl power packed into these novels!
6. Laurie Halse Anderson- I've only read two of her books so far (Speak and Wintergirls) but since those are two of the best books I've ever read, I think it's safe to put her on this list. Each of those books has such a distinct and unique voice, and the writing style is so different from anything else I've ever read.
7. Stephanie Perkins- Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door are hilarious and romantic and they have the cutest boys. I adore Stephanie Perkins' writing so much. I'll read anything she decides to write in the future.
8. Gayle Forman- If I Stay and Where She Went are books I find myself wanting to reread almost daily. All of Gayle Forman's words are so beautiful and I just want to swim around in them. (...does that make sense? It does in my head!)
9. Nina LaCour- The Disenchantments and Hold Still are enough to convince me that Nina LaCour is incredibly talented. Hold Still showcases her ability to write dramatic stories, while The Disenchantments is a bit lighter. I'm looking forward to reading more of her writing in the future.
10. Lauren Oliver- I know that Before I Fall is the only contemporary book she's written, but I'm going to put her on this list anyway because I absolutely love her writing. Something about her writing style is poetic and beautiful and moving. My dream is to be able to write like her one day.
Not only do I love reading the above authors' books, but they are all really inspiring to me when it comes to my own writing.
Who are your favorite contemporary authors? Comment below and let me know! :)
And leave links to your Top Ten Tuesday posts so I can check them out!