Saturday, February 23, 2013

Rachel Rambles About Perfect Scoundrels

I'd just like to apologize for my absence from the blog lately! I was sick for about a week, and then I had a ton of homework/tests/projects to make up for school. But I'm back now and should be posting somewhat regularly again. :)

Perfect Scoundrels by Ally Carter
(Heist Society #3)
From Goodreads:
Katarina Bishop and W.W. Hale the fifth were born to lead completely different lives: Kat comes from a long, proud line of loveable criminal masterminds, while Hale is the scion of one of the most seemingly perfect dynasties in the world. If their families have one thing in common, it's that they both know how to stay under the radar while getting--or stealing--whatever they want. No matter the risk, the Bishops can always be counted on, but in Hale's family, all bets are off when money is on the line. When Hale unexpectedly inherits his grandmother's billion dollar corporation, he quickly learns that there's no place for Kat and their old heists in his new role. But Kat won't let him go that easily, especially after she gets tipped off that his grandmother's will might have been altered in an elaborate con to steal the company's fortune. So instead of being the heir--this time, Hale might be the mark. Forced to keep a level head as she and her crew fight for one of their own, Kat comes up with an ambitious and far-reaching plan that only the Bishop family would dare attempt. To pull it off, Kat is prepared to do the impossible, but first, she has to decide if she's willing to save her boyfriend's company if it means losing the boy.

You know how sometimes you come across a series that is so wonderful that you have nothing bad to say about it? For me, that series is the Heist Society. If you haven't read it yet, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?! Get thee to a bookstore/library immediately and read it!

So I suppose it's no surprise that I adored Perfect Scoundrels. In fact, I think it might even be my favorite book in the series so far. Perfect Scoundrels is, to put it simply, all about Hale. You know Hale, right? The super rich, super cute boy who you can't help but fall in love with? I think he's such an amazing character, so I was obviously very excited to read a book all about him.

But even though Perfect Scoundrels is all about Hale, it isn't all about Hale-and-Kat's-relationship. I'll admit, I was worried that this book would turn into The Kat and Hale Show, a book that focuses on their romance, with some other plot stuff on the side. (Admittedly, their romance is adorable and perfect, but I still didn't want the book to be centered around it. :D) There are some cute moments for all the Kat&Hale shippers/fans out there (Kale? Hat?), but the book was definitely NOT about them and their little relationship problems. 

Perfect Scoundrels was about Hale and his family. Basically, Hale finds himself in a situation where he gets even MORE money, and things get a bit chaotic when his incredibly rich family gets involved. There is such a stark contrast between Hale's family and Kat's family. Hale's family is made up of a bunch of wealthy people who all dislike each other/are in competition with each other/don't know each other well/etc. They have money and private jets and huge mansions, but they don't have the support of their family members. 

Kat's family, on the other hand, is a family of thieves. They steal things. The entire Bishop family routinely teams up to steal something they probably shouldn't be stealing. But they all support each other and help each other and love each other. The characters in Kat's family are hilarious and quirky and intelligent and compelling, whereas the characters in Hale's family repeatedly did things that made me want to reach into the book and slap them.

The way Ally Carter shows the difference between these two families is completely brilliant. ALL THE AWARDS TO ALLY CARTER.

While Perfect Scoundrels is mainly about Hale's family, it still has everything I loved about the first two books. There are things to steal and plans to make, and somehow Kat and her teenage cohorts find themselves smack in the middle of all the heist action. Gabrielle, Angus, Hamish, and Simon are all right by Kat's side, and though I didn't think it was possible, I fell in love with each of them even more. There's also this new character Natalie who is introduced and I think she's pretty fascinating. I'd love to read more about her in the future!

Wow, I could ramble about this book FOREVER. I cannot even handle how much I loved it. This series is brilliant. BRILLIANT I TELL YOU. Seriously, get thee to a bookstore, pronto! You must read this series!

-Rachel

P. S. How is it that the entire book is about Hale but WE STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT HIS FIRST NAME IS?!

No comments:

Post a Comment