Monday, December 9, 2013

Rachel Rambles About Sweet Evil

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
From Goodreads:
What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?


I started reading this book because I was in the mood for a fun, fast-paced paranormal romance book. Sweet Evil satisfied my craving, and it proved to be exactly what I wanted to read at the time.

But Sweet Evil didn't start that well for me. The first half or so felt very Hush, Hush-like to me, which is not exactly a good thing. I was annoyed with the main character, and I was not enjoying the stereotypical good girl and bad boy falling in love story line. However, Sweet Evil was strangely addicting in the way that these kinds of books often are, so I kept reading.

Soon enough, at about the halfway point, the book suddenly became awesome. Instead of a cliche romance that was cringe-worthy and difficult to read about, the book started to focus on more exciting things. Anna's life as a Nephilim took center stage, and more Nephilim characters were introduced. The book began to explore the mythology behind the angels and fallen angels and demons and Nephilim and all the possible variations of angels. As someone who normally has a very low tolerance for angel stories, I found the mythology in Sweet Evil kind of awesome. It is well-written and well thought-out, and there are new and exciting twists on your standard angels story.

The second half of Sweet Evil had me eagerly turning the pages until one in the morning, when I finally finished. It's packed with action and danger and excitement, and it became the addicting read that I was so desperate for.

I didn't particularly care for the Anna and Kaidan romance in the beginning of the book, but I grew to appreciate it as the story continued. I was expecting the romance to be the main focus of the book, but it didn't feel like that to me. I think Sweet Evil is more about Anna's adjustment to her new life, after she discovers the truth about herself and her parents and her abilities and her obligations. It was interesting to read about her evolution throughout the book. She began as an incredibly naive and, in my opinion, annoying character who was so frustrating to read about, but she blossomed into a strong and mature young woman who was able to step up to the challenges that were thrown at her. I was expecting her to be whiny and awkward for the whole book, so I was pleasantly surprised when she had a transformation throughout the novel.

Overall, this book was a lot of fun to read. I didn't get emotionally attached to the characters or the story, but I found myself frantically turning the pages because I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next. If you're looking for a fun and relatively light read that you'll fly through in just a sitting or two, then I recommend giving Sweet Evil a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment