Saturday, December 14, 2013

Random Ramble: Where I've Been (Megan)

Hey everyone! It's kind of been awhile...

This post is basically going to one giant apology for being somewhat absent, but also an explanation. While I haven't been doing a lot of internet related things lately, things have been pretty busy for me so I'm going to try to explain what I've been doing.

So like Rachel mentioned in her post a few days ago, we've started our junior year this year. There's a lot that goes with that and even more than I originally realized. Growing up everyone always said that you have to start preparing for college in your junior year of high school. I knew that. What I didn't know was that basically EVERYTHING having to do with college happens in junior year.

Seriously, who knew that by the second marking period of Senior year that you get college letters back and everything else is already done? Maybe I'm crazy, but I never realized any of that when I was younger. It feels I've constantly had about 30 thousand things to do this year. Even after homework from school there is also all of the "homework" that goes along with preparing for college. That's the hardest part for me, because if I'm being totally honest, I'm really not ready to grow up at all. It's kind of terrifying. Yes I want out of high school like yesterday, but that doesn't mean that I'm ready to be an adult. But I try to ignore that fear as much as possible and that's a story for a different post.

I did get my SAT scores back recently which was pretty cool. I got a 640 on the Reading section, a 640 on the Writing Section, and a 610 on the math. So that's a grand total of 1890 out of 2400. Not bad at all for my first try at it! I was pretty proud of myself and it's kind of a relief to know that I can take the SAT's and get a score that is not terrible and I won't be a failure at the whole getting into college thing.

I've also been reading as often as I can around soccer and now winter track, which is something new for me. The meets are indoors, but we run outside occasionally and I really don't know why I do these things to myself.

I'm not as cool as Rachel so I don't have my license yet, but I do have my permit. I get to try my luck on the road test for the first time in March. Crossing my fingers for that one!

Oh and I also did Nanowrimo for the third time this year. I was a lot more casual about it this year admittedly than I have been in the past, not really having a particular goal. I was working on the same draft that I had last year because I really like where it's going and the characters. All I wanted to do was finish the draft, which would make it the first ever finished rough draft I've had. It didn't work out that way or as well as Nanowrimo has gone for me the past two years. I ended Nano with a grand total of a whole 8,408 words. Yeah. I didn't even hit 10,000.

I was pretty disappointed at first. The past two Novembers have been really successful for me and I've won both times. Whether or not I will ever do anything with the draft from my first year or even the one that I'm still working on, I have no idea. But I really wanted to be able to say that I was a three time Nanowrimo winner. That just didn't happen.

By the end of the month, I had pretty much realized that there was no way that I could win, so I started trying to think about what went wrong with this year compared to the other two. I came to the conclusion that I just wasn't into Nano this year. I still like it, and I'm still probably going to do it next year. This year just didn't work out for me. That doesn't mean that I can't keep working on the draft on my own time. It should be interesting for me to spend some more time writing at my own pace, not worrying so much about word count and just focusing on trying to get the words I want on the page so that the story I've had in my head for over a year can become an actual physical draft.

Besides, there's probably some kind of lesson about failing in there somewhere! :P

Anyway, I've been doing some more fun stuff too and spending a lot of time with my friends. Rachel and I went to see  Catching Fire like she mentioned in her post and loved every single second of it. We're actually making plans to go see it again together at some point because it was just WAY too perfect to only see once. So if you haven't seen Catching Fire yet GO DO IT NOW because it was even better than The Hunger Games.

Also, while you're at it, sit down and see Frozen too. I'm a sucker for a good Disney movie and Tangled is basically the best thing ever, but Frozen is even better! Seriously, Disney is really starting to get a hang of the strong female lead thing and that makes me so happy! No more damsels in distress! Woohooo!!

So that's me and what's been going on in my life. It's been a bit insane, but I haven't had any sort of mental breakdowns or huge stress attacks from school yet this year. I think I'm starting to get a better handle on dealing with all of that (I say this as I type this post to procrastinate homework, but whatever. We're all human).

I miss blogging and all of my internet friends who I haven't had as much time to talk to lately. So I'm going to try to get back to blogging as often as I can, starting with catching up on some old reviews that have been lying around collecting dust since the beginning of my accidental hiatus. Hopefully that means that I'll get back into the swing of things on Twitter again too.

If you actually read this whole thing, thanks for listening and putting up with my crazy. I promise that I'm going to try to get some more content up on here as soon as I can! It feels good to be back!


No comments:

Post a Comment