Monday, January 18, 2016

Megan Rambles About Binge

Binge by Tyler Oakley
From GoodreadsPop culture phenomenon, social rights advocate, and the most prominent LGBTQ+ voice on YouTube, Tyler Oakley brings you his first collection of witty, personal, and hilarious essays written in the voice that’s earned him more than 10 million followers across social media.

I've watched Tyler Oakley's videos on Youtube for a long time. I've always found his videos to be fun, usually hysterical, easy entertainment. Tyler's unabashed expressions of love for any and everything that he's passionate about have also always been something I could relate to. Clearly I am also a fan of expressing myself to people on the internet in a manner that can usually only be classified as fangirling.

I got this book for a birthday present and was really excited about it! The latest in the growing trends of Youtuber creators writing books that fit their interests, I was excited to see what stories Tyler Oakley might share in a collection of essays. As a person who has a reputation for sharing (and some argue, over-sharing) his life on the internet, I was curious to see if Binge would have any new information. I can assure you, even if you are the biggest Tyler Oakley super-fan on the planet, there will be things in this book that you have never heard before.

Tyler covers everything from growing up, to that whole Twitter incident with Liam Payne from One Direction which is infamous to almost all fans of Tyler's channel, to his recent red carpet jobs. One of the things that I was happiest with was that the book genuinely sounds like one of Tyler's videos. I could hear his voice while I was reading the words  which made it really easy to picture him telling me these stories himself. This book is just as personal as you would expect a book written by Tyler Oakley to be.

My favorite part about Binge was when Tyler talked about his experiences with his growing Youtube fame. I think that horror stories about conventions and how he was overworking himself are all things that the ordinary viewer might never think of. Binge definitely allowed for Tyler to let people into his world a bit more and talk about the positives and negatives of his life. This book does a great job of expressing not only that Tyler is happy in his life, but also that he struggles with the fame and keeping track of himself the same way any other celebrity might.

This book is definitely geared more towards people that are already fans of Tyler Oakley's Youtube channel, but I think people who don't know who he is will still enjoy it. Overall, this book gives an entertaining and informative insight into the life of a Youtube personality who is beloved by millions world-wide and reminds us that even the most famous people still have struggles in life. 

Are you a Tyler Oakley fan? Did you enjoy reading Binge? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment