Sunday, June 17, 2012

Rachel Rambles About Mirage

Mirage by Kristi Cook
From Goodreads:
Seventeen-year-old Violet McKenna is back for her senior year at Winterhaven, and thrilled to be with Aidan after a long summer apart. But when a violent and disturbing vision begins to haunt her, Violet suddenly feels unsure of everything: who to trust, if she is in danger, and—worst of all—whether she and Aidan are really meant to be together.

First of all, let's just talk about this GORGEOUS cover, okay? Because it's amazing. It's so beautiful and I just want to stare at it forever.

I just read Haven a few weeks ago for the first time, and I completely fell in love with it. (Have you SEEN my ramble about it?) The characters and the story and the school...I love it all. I didn't think things could get any better in the sequel.

But Mirage blew me away with its amazingness, and I think it's even better than Haven.

First of all, I love Violet and Aidan's relationship. It keeps growing stronger and stronger, and while they definitely have a lot of problems, they don't have huge fights or break-ups or anything, which makes me really happy.

Violet is an amazing main character. I love that she is strong and smart. I love that her life doesn't revolve around her boyfriend. I love that she spends a lot of time with her friends and actually trusts them enough to tell them her secrets. I love that there has never been a moment where I throw the book at the wall screaming "WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!?!! STUPID!!!" because she thinks things through and doesn't make stupid decisions. I love that she is normal and funny and compassionate and easy to relate to. She is definitely one of my favorite protagonists ever.


I also love Aidan. BECAUSE DUH. If anything, he's gotten even more swoon-worthy since the first book. YES I KNOW I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE EITHER. And while I adore Violet and everything, I still think Aidan should be with me. :P


And while we're on the topic of hot guys...Dr. Hottie *coughs* excuse me, Dr. BYRNE is one of my favorite characters. We were briefly introduced to him in the first book, and I was really excited to find out that he plays a really important role in Mirage. No spoilers, but there's this surprising twist involving him that is SO AWESOME.


But there is so much more to this book than hot guys! My favorite thing about this series is probably the huge cast of characters. The entire book isn't about Violet and Aidan and how much they looooove each other, which is really refreshing. Violet has a really close group of friends who are funny and loyal and amazing and I just love them all so much. And then there's Tyler, who...You know what, I'll just let you form your own opinion about him. :D


Oh and I really like Trevors. JUST PUTTING THAT OUT THERE.

The plot of this book is incredibly fast-paced. I read this in a really short period of time because I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN. Violet's visions and Aidan's work on the cure and a little thing called the Vampire Stalker all combine together to ensure that something is always happening. This book wouldn't know what a dull moment was if it hit it in the face. (Wait. Books don't have faces. Well, except for Facebook...hmm... Anyway, you know what I mean!)

Mirage is an awesome combination of romance, mystery, action, humor, and some other things. AND it takes place at a boarding school. With vampires. And kids with psychic powers. Basically, this book has EVERYTHING.


Also, the ending? Let's just say that I am DYING to read the next book.

-Rachel

P.S. Remember that time I went to the launch party for Mirage at Books of Wonder? Yeah, that time was awesome.
From left to right: Lauren (my sister), Brendan (Megan's brother), Kristi Cook!, Megan, Me

No comments:

Post a Comment