Saturday, June 9, 2012

Saturday Seven #5

Our topic this week is.....
The Creepiest Books
The books on this list completely freak us out for a variety of reasons. From murderous ghosts to zombies, you might want to leave the lights on while reading these.



1. Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Megan: I just finished this book, and OMG IT'S AMAZING. Probably also one of the creepiest things that  I have ever read! It's about a world where a deadly plague has made the air dangerous to breath. You either wear a mask, or you risk getting sick and dying. Araby experiences death every single day, and Bethany Griffin wrote that in a really amazing way. Even though this book had me cringing from the GROSS DISEASE EWWW I still loved every second of it. Bethany Griffin you are a genius.

Rachel: I'm just so obsessed with this book. The setting is both creepy and beautiful at the same time. The plague is a thing people have to deal with everyday in this book, and it's terrifying. You can't help but get sucked into this world to the point where you forget that it's not real and that is so freaking scary and I love it.

2. The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Megan: MURDEROUS GHOSTS. SERIOUSLY. A GHOST THAT GOES AROUND KILLING PEOPLE. This book made me so paranoid it's crazy. Sitting in my room reading it? That lamp in the corner suddenly became a person coming to kill me. Until I realized it wasn't. But still. Set in London (a boarding school to be specific) where someone is starting the Jack the Ripper killings over again, you definitely don't want to miss The Name of the Star.

Rachel: Jack the Ripper's ghost coming back to recreate the original killings all over again? Pretty much the worst thing that can ever happen. And when I was reading this, I basically convinced myself that I must be the next victim and OMG HE'S COMING TO KILLLL MEEEE! So that's a feeling everyone loves happening...right?

3. Across The Universe by Beth Revis

Megan: There is so much about this book that completely creeped me out. A ship going to a new planet in space can be surprisingly claustrophobic. Even when you're only reading about it through a book. Also, a little something called The Season. You'll have to read Across the Universe to find out more about that one! There are some seriously dark secrets in this book, and the creepy only grew as the book went on.

Rachel: I love the characters and plot and story of this book, BUT THE SETTING?!?!! Creepycreepycreepy!!! It's a freaking huge space ship and the people all live there and it's like a planet and they can't just like, walk outside or open a window for some fresh air because they are in SPACE. So it makes me really hyperventilate-y and claustrophobic-y and it's AWESOME.


4. Hollowland by Amanda Hocking

Megan: ZOMBIES. This was the first zombie book I had ever read, but considering my family has recently taken to watching The Walking Dead, I decided to pick it up. The zombies were gross, there was gore, blood, and a bunch of other yucky stuff. But I also liked the relationships between the characters as they struggled to be humans, and to stay that way.

Rachel: I haven't read this yet, because zombies scare me too much. Especially with the whole face eating thing recently. THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE IS UPON US. Although, if the zombie apocalypse is actually a thing that's happening, perhaps I should read this. You know, so I'm prepared.

5. Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Megan: I. Love. This. Series. Wither and Fever are both extremely creepy. When you live in a dystopian world where women are forced into polygamist marriages, sold into prostitution, or just killed that is a pretty scary thing. Oh yeah, and men die at age 25, and women die at age 20. So there's that. Rhine lives in a terrifying world and she sees a lot of things that a normal 16 year old girl would never have to see. I think if I lived in the world Lauren DeStefano created I would just curl up in a ball and cry. If you want to see how a character that is actually strong handles the world, then I highly recommend checking out Rhine's story!

Rachel: I think one of the blurbs for this book is "creepy and elegant." Which pretty sums up my feelings about it. The world scares me in a kind of subtle way. There are no zombies or monsters or blood or gore, but this book manages to be terrifying in a more quiet way, with the whole everyone-dies-really-young thing combined with the kidnapping thing combined with the sister wives thing.The main character is totally trapped in this screwed-up world and it's just so terrible and ugh it creeeeps me outttt.

6. City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
LOOK AWAY IF YOU HAVE NOT READ CASSANDRA CLARE'S BOOKS


Megan: OMG THIS BOOK THIS BOOK THIS BOOK. I have to say right from the start the creepiest thing that comes to mind in this book is Sebastian. Because that kid is seriously demented. There is so much wrong with him I don't even know where to start. Between his obsession with Jace and his obsession with Clary (dude. she's your sister!!) Sebastian could definitely use some therapy. There are some pretty creepy things that go one in this book, and some really big problems created. I'm starting to worry for our Shadowhunter friends.

Rachel: Sebastian, why do you have to be such a creeper?!?! What an amazing villain and plot though. This book had the potential to be all SICK AND TWISTED AND NOTHING MORE, but it was done in such a way that even though the story is sooo creeeepy, the creepiness serves a purpose and just makes the book even better.


7. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Megan: Where to begin with this book? Mara has some serious holes in her memory after she wakes up in the hospital without knowing how she ended up there. Bonus! She might also be going insane. And if your own mother thinks that you're going insane, it doesn't really help that you keep seeing things that aren't there. The entire time I was reading this book, I had no idea if Mara was actually crazy or not. Which only made the entire story scare me that much more!

Rachel: So this book has no zombies or diseases or weird brothers obsessed with sisters or ghosts or murderers or space ships. What it did have was a pretty normal teenage girl with a mysterious past who may or may not be insane. For the most part, all the creepy stuff is happening in Mara's head (or IS it???), which scares the crap out of me more than anything else. In a completely awesome way, of course.











And now to ease the creepy, here is a random picture of two bananas dancing. 
YOU'RE WELCOME.
Have you read any of these creepy, creepy books? Can you think of any that we should add to the list? Let us know in the comments! And feel free to come up with your own Saturday 7 topic for us to do!


No comments:

Post a Comment