Sunday, January 26, 2014

Megan Rambles About Boy Meets Boy

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan
From GoodreadsThis is the story of Paul, a sophomore at a high school like no other: The cheerleaders ride Harleys, the homecoming queen used to be a guy named Daryl (she now prefers Infinite Darlene and is also the star quarterback), and the gay-straight alliance was formed to help the straight kids learn how to dance.

When Paul meets Noah, he thinks he’s found the one his heart is made for. Until he blows it. The school bookie says the odds are 12-to-1 against him getting Noah back, but Paul’s not giving up without playing his love really loud. His best friend Joni might be drifting away, his other best friend Tony might be dealing with ultra-religious parents, and his ex-boyfriend Kyle might not be going away anytime soon, but sometimes everything needs to fall apart before it can really fit together right.

This is a happy-meaningful romantic comedy about finding love, losing love, and doing what it takes to get love back in a crazy-wonderful world.


Boy Meets Boy is the kind of book that I couldn't put down once I got into it. The story was full of awesome characters, funny situations, and had a sweet developing romance. I also loved that the characters weren't defined by their sexual orientation. 

From the very beginning of the book it's just an obvious fact that Paul is gay. Yet he and Noah aren't stereotypical and their characters aren't defined by the fact that they are gay. They're just two creative, interesting people who happen to like each other. I adored both of them. Paul had his fair share of problems, but at the same time was a really great friend to Tony. I also really loved Noah. He was so artsy and creative with his photography and painting the music. And they met in a bookstore! Can I please meet a really cute guy that I can then fall in love with in a bookstore?

The town that Paul lived in was also really interesting. When I first started reading about it I was confused. I mean, cheerleaders riding motorcycles, a homecoming queen who used to be a guy and is also the star quarterback? It isn't exactly something that happens often. After reading the interview in the back with David Levithan, I understand the point he was trying to make with the town a lot better. It wasn't about trying to make Paul's town necessarily be realistic, but to show society the way it could be in order to allow people to question why it isn't that way. It made me really proud of the progress we've made in terms of equality from 2003 when this book was originally published to 2013.

Boy Meets Boy was just overall really cute. It was about a romance between two boys, but it was also about a group of friends being there for each other. I flew through the book and found myself smiling uncontrollably by the end of it. It was beautiful in the simplest way and I really love David Levithan's ability to do that with his books.

2 comments:

  1. It's refreshing to find books that tackle this kind of subject. I think more people should be open to everyone's sexual preferences, and authors shouldn't be afraid to write them. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I totally agree! I'm so glad David Levithan writes his books the way he does. I love reading a book where characters aren't defined by their sexual orientation and it's just a part of who they are.

      -Megan

      Delete