Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Megan Rambles About The Distance Between Us

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West
From GoodreadsSeventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.


I am SO glad that I finally read this book! Rachel has been begging me to read it for awhile now because she had decided that it was the best thing ever. She was one hundred percent right! 

I tend to judge how much I like a contemporary book on whether or not I love it as much as Anna and the French Kiss or Lola and the Boy Next Door. This might not always be the best comparison but Stephanie Perkins is a contemporary goddess and that's just the way it happens. The Distance Between us is Stephanie Perkins level good!

Just in case that isn't enough to convince you to stop reading this run out and get the book right now, I'll continue to ramble on about how much I loved this book for awhile. If it did, then I won't take it personally if you close this right now to bury your nose in that book. Go ahead, do that.

Now let's talk about the characters. I absolutely loved everything about Caymen. Her name is different and totally awesome and so is her sense of humor. I am a really sarcastic person by nature and have a dry sense of humor. This meant I found all of her witty comments hysterical and the banter between her and Xander was absolutely perfect from the first second they met. I also understood how it felt to not have everyone be able to tell when you're kidding. It can get really frustrating and I shared that with Caymen. From the very first page I found her to be easy to relate to, entertaining, and I couldn't help but root for her as a character.

Caymen has a lot of stress in her life between school, trying to decide whether or not she's going to college, and worrying about how to keep the family shop, Dolls and More afloat. I just wanted all of the problems to work out for her so that she could stop being so stressed out.

Another character that I absolutely loved was Xander. I totally shipped him and Caymen from the first second that they met. It's been a bit since I read a book with a romance that I was so in love with. Xander is the kind of boy that made me swoon from the moment that he appeared. He was witty enough to keep up with Caymen and he also appreciated her sense of humor in a way that the other people in her life usually didn't. The two of them were really great together and had me laughing out loud more times than I can count.

The aspect of Caymen being raised not to trust the rich was an interesting one. I've never read a book that dealt with people being rich or poor before. Kasie West handled the issue well and I loved watching Caymen's opinions change throughout the book. While this complicates her relationship with Xander, it also leads to Caymen learning some interesting new things about her mom and her family as well.

Before reading The Distance Between Us I hadn't read anything by Kasie West. Now after reading this fun, romantic contemporary I can say that I'm definitely a fan. I can't wait to read Pivot Point  and I've actually already downloaded it on my Kindle! I will definitely be picking up any future contemporaries by Kasie West.

No comments:

Post a Comment