Friday, January 3, 2014

Megan's Top Ten Books of 2013

Well 2013 is officially over. That means it's time for me to look back on all of the books that I read and pick my favorites to share them with everyone. I went through to try and pick out my list and realized that I didn't read a lot of books that came out in 2013 this year. So this list is my favorite books that I read this year, whether or not they were actually released this past year.

10. Allegiant by Veronica Roth
I might not have loved Allegiant as much as I loved Divergent and Insurgent, but it still makes the top ten. Veronica Roth is a fantastic writer and I thought that the end of Allegiant was a beautiful end to one of my favorite series. I'm definitely going to be thinking about this one for a long time.
Review

9. The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson
I was super excited for The Madness Underneath to come out because I couldn't wait to see how Maureen Johnson continued after The Name of the Star. She certainly didn't disappoint! The Madness Underneath was totally awesome and left me breathlessly awaiting the next book. You can't just end a book like that....
Review

8. The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen
The Moon and More was my first Sarah Dessen book set in Colby and I absolutely loved it! Emaline was one of my favorite main characters of all time. This was a fun beach read about a town that brought me right back to my own childhood trips to the beach. Sarah Dessen wrote another amazing book as usual, and I appreciated getting to fall in love with a whole new set of her characters.
Review

7. Every Day by David Levithan
I read Every Day with the book club that Rachel and I run with our friend Katherine and it was my first David Levithan book. Every Day was deeply moving, beautiful, and unlike anything I've ever read before. Reading about A and Rhiannon was heartbreaking and also made me ridiculously happy. This was the kind of book that is definitely going to stick with me for awhile!
Review

6.Sever by Lauren DeStefano
Sever was another beautiful conclusion to a trilogy. I read Wither when it first came out and was sad to see this series come to an end. The Chemical Garden Trilogy wrapped up nicely in Sever with just the right amount of hope and happiness mixed in with some heartbreak. I absolutely loved it!
Review

5. How to Love by Katie Cotugno
I was lucky enough to pick up an ARC of How to Love at BEA this past summer. I fell in love with the characters, the writing style, and the romance. How to Love was a beautiful debut for Katie Cotugno and I couldn't help but care about Reena and Sawyer. Anyone looking for a touching contemporary with a totally shippable romance should definitely give this book a try!
Review


4. Just One Day/ Just One Year by Gayle Forman
If you know follow this blog at all, it shouldn't really be a surprise that this duet is on my list. I'm kind of cheating by counting them as one book, but it's impossible to read Just One Day and not rush to get your hands on Just One Year. When I read these books I wanted to pack my bags and head straight to Europe to start traveling and find my own "accidents" like Willem and Allyson. Gayle Forman is one of my writing idols and anyone who was a fan of If I Stay and Where She Went NEEDS these two books in their life.
        (I only review Just One Year on the blog. Whoops? Trust me, they're both amazing)  Review 
  
3. Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
Rachel had been begging me to read Pushing the Limits since last year and as soon as I finished it I regretted not reading it sooner. Echo and Noah were both amazing characters that broke my heart. They had both been through such terrible things and yet all I wanted was for the two of them to be together. Pushing the Limits was one of my all time favorite contemporaries and I highly recommend picking this one up if you haven't already! 

2. The Distance Between Us by Kasie West
The Distance Between Us was just plain fun. I fell in love with Xander and Caymen. They were fantastic characters who just belonged together. It has been awhile since I read a romance with such great flirty banter between two characters and it's been even longer since I read about a character that was as delightfully sarcastic as Caymen. Anyone who loves Stephanie Perkins will adore The Distance Between Us for sure! 

1. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
So far I've seen Clockwork Princess at the top of several peoples' lists and it doesn't surprise me one bit. I've loved every book that Cassandra Clare has written, but she gets better and better every single time. Clockwork Princess tore my heart to shreds and then put the pieces back together again. I cried tears of emotional trauma and by the end I was crying tears of joy because the ending was so perfect. Coming into Clockwork Princess I wasn't sure how such a perfect love triangle could end well. And yet, Cassandra Clare managed to tie up every single loose end, connect The Infernal Devices back to The Mortal Instruments and create the PERFECT ending to a series that I absolutely loved. 
(Rachel and I have been struggling to put our feels about this book into words/video format. So far it hasn't happened..oops)


2013 was a great year for books and there were a lot of great books that I read this year that I didn't include on my list and so many more that I wanted to read that I didn't even get to. What were your favorite books of 2013? Did we have any of the same books? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment