Thursday, April 26, 2012

Rachel and Megan Ramble About If I Stay

If I Stay by Gayle Forman
 From Goodreads: In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces - to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make. Heart-wrenchingly beautiful, Mia's story will stay with you for a long, long time.

Megan: I have no idea why I took so long to read this book! I bought it awhile ago, and I know how much you love it. I definitely wasn't disappointed! This book was AMAZING.


Rachel: This is definitely one of my favorite books EVER. I love it I love it I love it. I've read it several times and I never get sick of it. It's perfection. Such a beautiful and amazing and moving story and AHHHH IT MAKES ME FEEL ALL THE FEELINGS.

Megan: OH I KNOW!  Part of the reason I loved this book so much was that I could relate to Mia. Well not exactly relate, but my family is me, my mom, my dad, and my little brother, so I couldn't help but imagine what I would do if I was in her situation. It made the emotion of the book that much stronger. THERE WERE MANY TEARS PEOPLE.

Rachel: Oh man, I know. The first time I read this was probably about two years ago and I just have a very vivid memory of sitting in my room crying and crying and crying and ADAMMMMM. I love him. I love the relationship between him and Mia, because it is not all happy and wonderful and perfect. It's normal and kinda miserable sometimes and also Adam is the best.

Megan: I LOVE ADAM SO MUCH. The things he goes through just to try to see Mia in this book made me love him that much more. I can't wait to read Where She Went to see things through his point of view.

Rachel: Where She Went is even better than If I Stay! In my opinion, anyway. Of course, you know this because I talk about my obsession with Where She Went ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

Megan: YES. OMG YOU NEVER SHUT UP. My mom also shares this opinion. Quick funny story, my mom was trying to wake me up for a ridiculously early track practice, and in order to not fall asleep started reading If I Stay. She loved it, finished it before I even started it, and then finished Where She Went like two days later. So, congrats to my mom for beating me to reading something.

Rachel: My mom also read this book and loved it. *CHEERS* YAY MOMS! Anywho, isn't this such a quick read? The book takes place in such a short period of time that I couldn't help but read it in just a few hours.

Megan: Yeah it really was! Since the book doesn't have any real chapters and just time labels every now and then, it made the book go that much quicker. There weren't any big gaps of boring time that made you want to put the book down and there was always something happening. It was also cool that most of the book was Mia's internal monologue and thoughts. There really wasn't that much talking besides in her memories, so it was a different kind of style.

Rachel: I love being in Mia's head. She's one of my favorite main characters, so I didn't mind being stuck inside her brain the whole book. She is really easy to relate to, and there was never a time where I had to throw the book across the room yelling "WHY DID YOU DO THAT!?!?"

Megan: Yeah I really liked Mia. I completely understood everything she did, which made it really great being in her head. I would probably react the same ways she did if I was in her situation. Actually, I'd probably be a lot worse off than her.

Rachel: Dude, yeah. She's a much stronger character than I could ever be!

Megan: Seriously! I mean, what she goes through is ridiculously painful. Besides the entire accident, I was literally flinching at the descriptions of injuries and stuff in this book.

Rachel: Bleh. Yeah. This book isn't exactly a light and fluffy read. It's some pretty heavy stuff! IT IS ALSO SOME PRETTY PERFECT STUFF I AM JUST SAYING.

Megan: IT SO DOES! This book made me cry at unexpected moments. I'd be reading, and all of a sudden, BOOM TEARS! This book is sooooo perfect! (woah this ramble is huge! We could go on forever about this book!!)

Rachel: Oh yeah. I guess we should probably shut up now. Basically, this book is made of amazingness and you need to read it immediately. That is all.

Megan: Yes! And if you have already read it, feel free to comment below and let us know what you thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment