Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Rachel Rambles About The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass
From Goodreads:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

This book has been getting a lot of attention lately. Everyone seems to either love it or hate it. After reading so many mixed reviews, I knew that I would have to give it a chance and decide on my own whether I liked it or not.


For the most part, I really enjoyed this book. Sure, there were things I didn't like, but after I read the final page, I was dying for more.


The world created in The Selection is unique and interesting. The citizens of the country are divided into different castes--One being the highest, and Eight being the lowest. If you're a One, you're a member of the royal family. If you're an Eight, you're extremely poor. The main character America is a Five, so her life is far from luxurious. 

The actual Selection in this book is about a prince finding a wife. (Poor guy. He can't just fall in love the normal way. He has to have his romantic endeavors broadcast on tv for the entire country to see.) So a bunch of girls are "competing" to be the next queen. By "competing" I mean they dress up and look pretty and try to charm him. A lot of the girls are annoying and catty (as girls often are. Sometimes I'm embarrassed of my gender), but there are a few characters who are actually nice and friendly.


To be honest, I did not like the beginning of this book. It took me about eighty pages or so to really begin to enjoy it. But as soon as I got out of that beginning slump, I could not put the book down. It's the kind of book where you say to yourself "Oh, I'll just read another chapter" and all of a sudden you've read the next two hundred pages. I was just breezing through the pages, unable to stop.


While most dystopian books are really dark and depressing and scary, The Selection is pretty light. The book focused more on the romance and friendship and competition aspects. I have no problem with this. I mean, I love reading light stuff. It's entertaining. 


Oh, and by the way? TEAM MAXON FOREVER. Because really. Aspen? *shakes head* Nope. I'm sorry, but I'm just not a fan of him. It's cool though, because Maxon totally makes up for it, and I like him very much. :)


So if you're looking for a light, quick read with cute boys and fancy dresses, read this book. I really enjoyed it, and I am very eager to read the sequel.


-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment