Monday, May 28, 2012

Megan Rambles About Wings

Wings by Aprilynne Pike
From Goodreads: Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful--too beautiful for words.
Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.
In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.




I'm going to open this review by saying that I usually don't like faeries that much. Faeries, pixies, sprites, anything related. They generally terrify me. Need by Carrie Jones anyone? (really good book btw) The faeries/pixies in that book are really scary! They're evil, and if I met one in real life, I would definitely be more freaked out than if I were to meet a vampire or a werewolf or something. But not these faeries. 

I loved the faeries of Wings.  They were pretty, and not evil! Which was a really refreshing change. The world was great, and  I can't wait to read more about it in the other books. 

Laurel was an entertaining main character, because I understood what she was thinking. When wing like things appear on your back, it's totally natural to FREAK OUT. But after the initial freak out, Laurel handled it pretty well. She was more "Okay. Okay. This is really weird. So how the heck do I deal with this now??" than "OMGAHHWHATISHAPPENINGTOME?!?!" 

And of course, two boys. So yay!! First there is David, who is cute, and nerdy, and I love him. He was such a good friend to Laurel. Also, it was a different spin on things that he used his science nerdiness to help Laurel figure things out. Now, let's talk about Tamani. Because I love him. He was sweet, and mysterious, and I want to learn more about him.

This book was a really good set-up for the rest of the series, and I can't wait to see where it goes from here. 

-Megan 

No comments:

Post a Comment