Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Rachel Rambles About Until I Die

Until I Die by Amy Plum
From Goodreads:
Kate and Vincent have overcome the odds and at last they are together in Paris, the city of lights and love.

As their romance deepens there’s one question they can’t ignore: How are they supposed to be together if Vincent can’t resist sacrificing himself to save others? Although Vincent promises that he’ll do whatever it takes to lead a normal life with Kate, will that mean letting innocent people die? When a new and surprising enemy reveals itself, Kate realizes that even more may be at stake—and that Vincent’s immortality is in jeopardy.

In Die for Me, Amy Plum created a captivating paranormal mythology with immortal revenants and a lush Paris setting. Until I Die is poised to thrill readers with more heart-pounding suspense, spellbinding romance, and a cliff-hanger ending that will leave them desperate for the third and final novel in the series.

ALL OF THE FEELINGS. ALL OF THEM.
SWOONING AND SQUEALING AND SCREAMING AND OH GOD THE ENDING JUST WOW THIS BOOK IS AMAZING AND CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE BOOK THREE IS THANKS.

^ I typed this little tidbit about three seconds after finishing this book. After that, I waited a while before writing this ramble, in the hopes that I would eventually be able to understand my feelings and put them into words.

A few days later, I am still sitting here like an idiot, staring at my computer screen screaming ALL OF THE FEEEEELINGSSSS! So I haven't really made a lot of progress.

Listen. I loved Die For Me. It was absolutely amazing. And so obviously I was really excited to read the sequel. I wasn't really sure what to expect from the sequel. Could it possibly be as good as the first book??

Imagine my surprise when I discovered Until I Die was EVEN BETTER than Die For Me.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. Just, wow. This book blew me away. While I was reading it, I was gasping and screaming and awwwwing and having very strong reactions to everything (which annoyed my sister, who was sitting in the room with me yelling WHAT NOW?!). The twists and turns this book took were something I was not expecting...at all.

There was quite a bit of tension in Kate and Vincent's relationship--understandable, considering the events that occurred in the first book. But even when things were weird between them and secrets were being kept, I still really enjoyed reading about their relationship. They weren't angry and fighting all the time, which was refreshing. The romance that was present in the first book only strengthened, and there were definitely a lot of swoony OMG VINCENTTTTT moments for me. :)

Kate goes through a major transformation in the series. At the start of the first book, she is still reeling from the death of her parents. She kinda curls up in a ball in the corner and sleeps all the time, unable to feel alive again. Once she meets Vincent, of course, things begin to change. By the time we get to Until I Die, Kate is a very strong and lively character who I absolutely adore. She's thrown into a world that she knows next to nothing about, all because she fell in love, and she handles it extremely well. She is smart and brave and logical about everything, and she is not going to sit on the sidelines and let her gorgeous revenant boyfriend fight for her.

The side characters in this book are just as lovely as they were in Die For Me. Georgia is crazy and bubbly, and I really love the strong sister relationship between her and Kate. One of the reasons I like Kate so much is that she doesn't ditch her family for her boyfriend. She's very honest with her sister, and Georgia even helps her solve some of the supernatural problems she's dealing with.

Jules and Ambrose were extremely flirtatious, and they add a lot of comic relief to this book. Oh man, can they please be real?!

The setting of this book is absolutely gorgeous and I would like to go to Paris immediately. I love the romance and the characters and the action and the plot and the bad guys and...

OMG THE ENDING!!!! Wow. Let's just say I am BEYOND excited for the third (and final!) book.

-Rachel

Hey everyone! It's Megan. So I finished this book like a day or two after Rachel. I agree with everything that she said above. This book blew all of my expectations completely out of the water. All of the relationships between the characters developed really well in this book. I love Jules and Ambrose, the sister relationship between Kate and Georgia. It was a nice change that she didn't lock herself away from her family. Kate actually confides in her sister.

Plus, the Parisian setting is completely amazing. It drags me in whenever I read these books! The characters are awesome, and the ENDING. I don't even....JUST WOW. ALL OF THE FEELINGS.  I don't know what is going to happen in the next book, and it's scary!! I can't wait for book three!!

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment