Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Rachel Rambles About Jellicoe Road

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
From Goodreads:
"What do you want from me?" he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him. More.

Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham, now seventeen, is finally being confronted with her past. But as the reluctant leader of her boarding school dorm, there isn't a lot of time for introspection. And while Hannah, the closest adult Taylor has to family, has disappeared, Jonah Griggs is back in town, moody stares and all.

In this absorbing story by Melina Marchetta, nothing is as it seems and every clue leads to more questions as Taylor tries to work out the connection between her mother dumping her, Hannah finding her then and her sudden departure now, a mysterious stranger who once whispered something in her ear, a boy in her dreams, five kids who lived on Jellicoe Road eighteen years ago, and the maddening and magnetic Jonah Griggs, who knows her better than she thinks he does. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future.

What a weird book.
 
For the entire beginning of this book, I was so confused. I pretty much had no idea what was going on. But the thing is, that didn't turn me off. It didn't make me put the book down or walk away or anything. For some reason I don't quite understand, I kept turning the pages. I just couldn't stop reading. 

Once I got to a certain point, I started to understand what was happening, or at least I started to get used to it. And that is when the characters happened.

Because the characters in this book? I have fallen in love with them. I don't even know what it is about them, but they have touched my heart. YES I KNOW THAT SOUNDS LAME BUT IT'S HOW I FEEL. The characters are all ridiculously screwed-up, and screwed-up characters are my FAVORITE characters.


Taylor and Jonah and Hannah and Jessa and Ben and Raffaela and Santangelo and ALL THE CHARACTERS. I love them. They all have a lot of issues and they don't always do the right thing or the nice thing or the normal thing, and sometimes they piss me off, but I think that's why I love them. I just...I feel like I can relate to some of them, and I want to protect some of them, and I want to hang out with some of them. 


Each character has a whole bunch of layers and they have secrets and surprises and they're all so developed and they feel so real. A week or so after finishing this book, I am still thinking about these characters. They feel like a part of me, now. I guess. I don't really know what it is. But there's something really special about this book.


It's just so unique and original and strange and I still don't know exactly what happened but it doesn't matter because for some reason, I LOVE IT.


If you want to read this book, I give you ALL THE ENCOURAGEMENT. But just be warned: the beginning is really hard to get into and it's confusing and you'll be all "um...why am I reading this?" But then at some point, you'll just be like, "OH. THAT'S WHY." and everything will make sense and you will laugh and cry and feel all the feels. 

P.S. JONAH GRIGGS THAT IS ALL I WILL SAY.


-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment