Thursday, August 30, 2012

Rachel Rambles About The Goddess Test


The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
From Goodreads:
EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT'S KATE'S TURN.

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she suceeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS...


Oh hi so I'm a little bit obsessed with this book. 

My friend lent it to me, and I was like "oh yeah it's that book about Greek mythology and that evil guy who like, kidnapped his wife or whatever. Meh, Greek mythology is boring. I probably won't like it."

THANK GOD I ACTUALLY STARTED READING IT. About twenty pages in, I was already trying to figure out why the heck I thought I wouldn't like this book. Because everything about this book is awesome.

The plot is BRILLIANT. There are so many twists and turns and surprises, but as the story moves along, everything starts to come together and make sense. I read this book in one sitting because it moves so fast. Something exciting or mysterious or scary or suspenseful is always happening, so there is seriously never a dull moment.

Kate is a great protagonist. She has so much compassion for others, which is how she winds up in this whole mess to begin with. She's really strong, but she shows her soft side from time to time. The Goddess Test shows so many different sides of Kate, and she feels like a real person.

The character development in this book is absolutely amazing. Every single character has a story and a past and a personality. None of the characters feel like they're there for comic relief or to be a sidekick or anything. They each add something important to the story.

I was totally impressed with the relationship between Henry and Kate. Because it's a YA book, you obviously expect them to fall in love. But I thought the way they grew to love each other was so realistic. It wasn't insta-love at all. This book shows them evolve from strangers to friends to something more. Their relationship didn't feel like it was moving too fast. It was completely natural.

The Goddess Test is one of the best Greek mythology-based books I've ever read. Even if you're not a huge fan of Greek mythology (like me!) I think you'll enjoy this book anyway.

Now I just need to get my hands on the sequel. :D

-Rachel

1 comment:

  1. So now I'm asking myself why in the world I haven't read this yet. You've definitely convinced me to pick it up, though!

    ReplyDelete