Saturday, August 11, 2012

Rachel Rambles About Three Summer Books

Hey everyone! I've been reading a lot more books than usual lately, and I would really like to keep up this fast pace without having to write out separate rambles for each book. So... I'm going to do mini rambles about some amazing summer books.

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick (summary and info: Goodreads).

This book was really fun and light, with an amazing summer romance. I liked the relationship between Samantha and Jase. Instead of being long and drawn out, the two of them really hit it off toward the beginning of the book. I really liked the important role that family plays. While I totally fell in love with some characters (George!), there were others who I ABSOLUTELY COULD NOT STAND. So that was a bit frustrating. :P But I appreciated how realistic this book was. There are plenty of superawkward relationship moments, as well as uncomfortable/frustrating/annoying family issues. My favorite thing about this book is definitely Samantha and Jase's relationship. They're cute and fun and romantic and sometimes awkward, but for the most part they're really comfortable around each other. It's a very realistic portrayal of a teenage romance.


Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
(summary and info: Goodreads)

Who doesn't love a good road trip book? Amy and Roger are forced to go on a road trip together from California to Connecticut, so obviously they fall in love, duh! This book has lots fun moments when the two of them are bantering or just hanging out in the car. And of course there are many of awkward moments when it comes to spending the night in motels/hotels/cabins/etc. "So, uh, there's only one bed..." "Oh...well, um, this is...this is awkward." I LOVE IT. Roger is supercute and I kind of think he's the best thing ever. And Amy is an excellent main character. She's dealing with grief from her father's recent death and also some other family crap. She handles it in a way that I think a lot of people can relate to. The best part of this book is that are actual pictures of scenery/receipts/road signs that they see on their journey. So you get to see the menu of the diner they're eating at, which makes it really easy to pretend you're tagging along on the road trip, just chilling in the backseat.


The Summer I Learned to Fly by Dana Reinhardt
(summary and info here: Goodreads)

This is a really short book that I couldn't help but read in one sitting. It's more Middle Grade than YA, with the main character Drew being a thirteen year old girl. The characters are all wonderful. From Drew, who I think everyone can relate to, to the mysterious Emmett, to Nick the surf bum. I even grew emotionally attached to Drew's mom. This book...I just love it. I love Drew's pet hamster and her dead dad's book of lists and her mother's cheese shop and the paper cranes. It's such a simple story, but it managed to CAPTURE MY FREAKING HEART. And of course, it turns out to be a summer that changes Drew's life. It's the kind of summer that I think everyone experiences at some point. Or, at least wishes they could experience.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer and you are all reading wonderful summer books!

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment