Sunday, August 26, 2012

Rachel Rambles About Saving June

Saving June by Hannah Harrington
From Goodreads:
When her older sister commits suicide and her divorcing parents decide to divide the ashes, Harper Scott takes her sister's urn to the one place June always wanted to go: California. On the road with her best friend, plus an intriguing guy with a mysterious connection to June, Harper discovers truths about her sister, herself and life.

How do I even begin to explain Saving June?

Saving June is flawless. 

It has two lovable best friends and a cute boy.

I hear it makes you want to go on a road trip.

I hear it's a bestseller... in Japan.* *I have no idea if that's even true but let's pretend it is, okay? 

Its favorite spot on my bookshelf is next to the best novels I've read. 

One time, my sister bought Saving June at Barnes and Noble.

And she told me to read it.

One time, it made me cry lots of tears.

It was awesome. 
  *****

So that was the Mean Girls version of my thoughts on Saving June. (If you haven't seen Mean Girls, sorry. What's the limit to the amount of times I can quote Mean Girls? The limit does not exist.)

Anyway. So this book makes my heart happy. My experience reading it involved laughter and tears and overall many FEELINGS. I have grown emotionally attached to the characters, and it's easy to accidentally talk about them as if they're people I know in real life. Some might call this a sign of insanity, but I call it a sign of a great book. 

I absolutely adore Harper. She's an excellent main character, and it's really easy to slip into her mind and see the world from her point of view. Her best friend Laney is the freaking best! Everyone should have a best friend like her. I love that their friendship didn't take a backseat to the romance, like some YA novels do. This book is as much about Harper and Laney as it is about Harper and Jake. Which brings me to that music-obsessed, mysterious, extremely attractive boy. :D Jake is sometimes annoying and sometimes funny and  sometimes sexy and I LOVE HIM.

ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP.
Ahem. I'm sorry. I just really really REALLY want to go on a road trip, and with this book I was able to live vicariously through Harper and Laney and Jake. It made me feel like I actually did go on a road trip, so yay!

Oh and let's talk about the music! Jake is obsessed with music, so there is A LOT of it in the novel. If you are a huge crazy obsessive passionate fan of music, THIS IS YOUR BOOK. If you're looking for some new songs to listen to, THIS IS YOUR BOOK. I walked away from this book all "I need to buy ALL THE MUSIC PLEASE".

I was not expecting to love this book as much as I did. It made me feel a lot of emotions and I think you'll feel a lot of emotions, too, so you should totally read it.
 
-Rachel

2 comments:

  1. I traded someone for this one a while ago, but I still haven't gotten around to watching it. You're review makes me really excited to get to it, though :D
    Great review, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have grown emotionally attached to the characters, and it's easy to accidentally talk about them as if they're people I know in real life. Some might call this a sign of insanity, but I call it a sign of a great book."

    Amen to that, sister. You're not alone. I swear I am going to read this as soon as I can get my hands on a copy. I absolutely loved Harrington's Speechless so I am super excited to read Saving June. I CANNOT WAIT.

    ReplyDelete