Thursday, November 1, 2012

Rachel Rambles About Ten

I lost power for a few days, thanks to hurricane Sandy. I'm in Northwestern NJ, so I didn't get hit too hard, but we lost power and there are trees down everywhere. I hope everyone affected by Sandy is okay!

I was reading this book during the freaking hurricane, in the dark by candlelight when I had no power. WHY DID I DO THAT?! The book is about teens trapped on an island with no power during a really bad storm! WHY WOULD I READ IT DURING THE HURRICANE?! It made me totally paranoid and it was a terrifying experience.

Anyway, let's move on to my ramble:

Ten by Gretchen McNeil
From Goodreads:
SHHHH!
Don't spread the word!
Three-day weekend. House party.
White Rock House on Henry Island.
You do NOT want to miss it.


It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message:
Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?

I don't read a lot of scary books because I'm kind of a wimp. But this sounded too awesome to pass up, so I decided to give it a try. And...I was really impressed with it! It seriously creeped me out, but...in a good way? Kind of?

The suspense in this book is AMAZING. Every little sound or shadow in the book made my heart start racing like crazy. The story unfolds in such a brilliant way. There are so many twists and turns and just when you think you know what's going to happen next, BAM. Something totally unexpected happens and you're just like WTF IS EVEN GOING ON I'M KIND OF TERRIFIED RIGHT NOW. At least, that was my experience. :D

The main character, Meg, is pretty cool. She's a writer, and her plans for this weekend party adventure thing were to sit in a corner somewhere with her laptop. MY KIND OF CHARACTER. I found some of the supporting characters super annoying, but hey, that just means that I wasn't too upset to see them die. I'm glad I didn't grow emotionally attached to a bunch of these people, or this book would have been a horrible experience.

Each character in this book is a suspect at one point or another. I couldn't keep up with who I thought I trusted and who I thought was the killer. My predictions changed on practically every page as I tried to keep up with the fast-paced plot. It was fascinating to read about the teens as they got more and more paranoid. They stopped trusting each other and started turning on each other, which is way more terrifying than any killer.

Oh, and when you finally find out who the killer is?! Nope. I totally did not see that coming! I had so many suspicions throughout the book, but I was still extremely surprised when the truth was revealed. Proof that Gretchen McNeil is a genius. She really knows how to write suspense and mystery.

This book freaked me out so much. It gets progressively scarier with every page turn, and the story moves faster and faster until you get to the end when everything is just insane and the reader has to frantically flip pages to keep up. For someone who's really not into books that make me want to hide under the covers and cry, I thought this book was excellent. I highly recommend that you give Ten a try, even if you're a total wimp like I am. :D

Just please try not to read it during a hurricane! Because then you'll have trouble sleeping. NOT THAT THIS HAPPENED TO ME OR ANYTHING. PSHHHH OF COURSE NOT.

-Rachel

2 comments:

  1. You are right about not reading this during a storm! Gretchen McNeil writes such a wide range of types of stories. I heard her talk about this and it sounds fascinating/terrifying. Nice pick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading it when you did seems like basically the worst idea ever :P
    I saw Gretchen last month and she did a reading and it was awesome. It was a good thing I was penned in at the back row because otherwise I might have just ran up and snatched the book out of her hands. That's how badly I want to read this!

    ReplyDelete