Friday, February 7, 2014

Rachel Rambles About The Avery Shaw Experiment

The Avery Shaw Experiment by Kelly Oram
From Goodreads:
When Avery Shaw’s heart is shattered by her life-long best friend, she chooses to deal with it the only way she knows how—scientifically. 

The state science fair is coming up and Avery decides to use her broken heart as the topic of her experiment. She’s going to find the cure. By forcing herself to experience the seven stages of grief through a series of social tests, she believes she will be able to get over Aiden Kennedy and make herself ready to love again. But she can’t do this experiment alone, and her partner (ex partner!) is the one who broke her heart.

Avery finds the solution to her troubles in the form of Aiden’s older brother Grayson. The gorgeous womanizer is about to be kicked off the school basketball team for failing physics. He’s in need of a good tutor and some serious extra credit. But when Avery recruits the lovable Grayson to be her “objective outside observer,” she gets a whole lot more than she bargained for, because Grayson has a theory of his own: Avery doesn’t need to grieve. She needs to live. And if there’s one thing Grayson Kennedy is good at, it’s living life to the fullest.


I downloaded this book on my kindle, with the intention of reading a few pages and then returning to my homework. Three hours later, I looked up from the screen of my kindle to find that I had sort of kind of accidentally read the entire book. Whoops? It's not like that homework was important or anything...


Clearly, this book is a really fast and addicting read. It's one of the most fun books I've read in awhile, and it was refreshing to read something that made me smile so much and caused me absolutely no stress. I read most of this book with a big, goofy smile on my face, because it's just so adorable! Grayson is the cutest boy ever (well, okay, not EVER but he's definitely one of them) and I adore his relationship with Avery.


The Avery Shaw Experiment is, as the title and cover suggests, about a science experiment. It's a social science experiment, so the book isn't crammed full of confusing equations and various other scientific things that would have made my eyes glaze over. I found the science-y part of the book to be really interesting, and it made a cute romance book super smart and nerdy, which I appreciated since, of course, I'm a huge nerd. :) Also, this book is hilarious. There are so many moments that made me laugh out loud, not to mention all the cute and romantic moments.


This book alternates from the POVs of Avery and Grayson, and I'm so happy that both characters got to have a voice in this story. At first, I found Avery to be a bit unlikable, and it was helpful to be able to see her from Grayson's eyes. Avery has social anxiety, so she is sensitive to a lot of situations in the book, but Grayson handles it really well, and his perspective helps the reader understand Avery a lot better. Personally, I preferred reading from Grayson's point of view. At the beginning of the book, he was a bit of an arrogant jerk, but as Avery gets to know him better, he turns out to be really sweet and cute and caring. I absolutely adore him! :D


I'm a huge fan of contemporary romances, so this book was perfect for me. It's short and sweet, and I had so much fun reading it. When I finished it, I had this ginormous smile on my face, and I was squealing because of the adorableness. This book is a good choice if you're looking for something to cheer you up. I guarantee you'll want to read the entire book immediately, which is totally doable since it's so short and fast. If you're a fan of contemporary romances, I recommend giving this book a shot. 

The Avery Experiment was my first Kelly Oram book, but I had such a good experience with it that I plan on reading more of her books very soon. I can't wait to see what else this author has in store. Her books seem like they're all right up my alley, so I have high hopes. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment