Sunday, February 9, 2014

Rachel Rambles About V is for Virgin

V is for Virgin by Kelly Oram
From Goodreads:
When Val Jensen gets dumped for her decision to stay a virgin until marriage, the nasty breakup goes viral on YouTube, making her the latest internet sensation. 

After days of ridicule from her peers, Val starts a school-wide campaign to rally support for her cause. She meant to make a statement, but she never dreamed the entire nation would get caught up in the controversy. 

As if becoming nationally recognized as “Virgin Val” isn’t enough, Val’s already hectic life starts to spin wildly out of control when bad boy Kyle Hamilton, lead singer for the hit rock band Tralse, decides to take her abstinence as a personal challenge.

How can a girl stay true to herself when this year’s Sexiest Man Alive is doing everything in his power to win her over?


I read this book immediately after I read and loved Kelly Oram's The Avery Shaw Experiment. Like The Avery Shaw Experiment, V is for Virgin is a fun and fast contemporary read that I devoured in just a few hours. Although I liked The Avery Shaw Experiment more, I still really enjoyed V is for Virgin.

The first word that comes to mind when I think of this book is fun. Because seriously, I had a blast reading this. It's hilarious, and there is a lot of romantic bantering that I really enjoyed. Val's relationship with Kyle isn't the adorable, healthy relationship that Avery and Grayson had in The Avery Shaw Experiment, but it's definitely interesting and compelling.

Val's campaign in this book did rub me the wrong way at some points. Val wants to wait until marriage to have sex, and she stands up for that belief. Which is awesome for her, and I think it's important to read about a character who knows what she wants and won't let anyone change her mind. However, once she began promoting abstinence in her school and her community, it started to get a bit preachy, which I wasn't so comfortable with. Val's decision to not have sex until marriage is important to her, which is great, but at some points in the book, it seemed like she was very disapproving of other teenagers who were having sex. I wish there had been more acceptance in this book of different teens' decisions, and I wish it had been more clear that Val's opinions on sex were not "right" while everyone else's were "wrong." Teenage sex is a very controversial topic, and while I understand it's a difficult topic to write about, I think this book could have handled it a little better.

But honestly, the controversial sex stuff didn't bother me that much. It didn't make this book any less fun to read, and since it is such a light read, I didn't let myself get really emotionally invested in the story, so I couldn't be that annoyed by any flaws. :)

If you're in the mood for a fun book that you can read quickly, then you should totally pick up V is for Virgin. It may not be the best thing you'll ever read, but I think you'll enjoy your experience reading it. It has comedy, romance, drama, excitement, and it has a good amount of sexy moments. :)

If you haven't read a book by this author yet, I recommend starting with The Avery Shaw Experiment, since I did enjoy it more than V is for Virgin. You can read my ramble about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment