Monday, June 23, 2014

Books We Got at BEA

Hello everyone! As I'm sure you've gathered by now, Read Write Ramble attended BEA and had an awesome time. We met so many cool/nice/funny/talented/wonderful authors, publishers, bloggers, booksellers, librarians, and more. We also picked up a lot of books. Like...A LOT of books. Like....SO MANY BOOKS we don't even know what to do with ourselves!

We do intend on reading them all, and since the school year is officially over, we'll have plenty of time to read lots of books this summer. However, rather than show you each and every book we picked up at BEA, we thought it would be a much better idea to just show you the highlights. The following books are some of the books we're most excited to read, and they'll probably be some of the ones we pick up first.

We have organized the books into four categories. The first one is the overall top five BEA books that all three of us are excited for.

Top Five BEA Books

Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld- This book is about a teenage girl's experience with writing and the publishing industry, topics that we here at Read Write Ramble are interested in, because  hello! we're teenage girls who like to write, and since we got this book at BEA, we're obviously involved in the publishing industry! Everything about this book sounds awesome, so needless to say, Afterworlds was our most anticipated book of BEA.

Rooms by Lauren Oliver- We're all big fans of Lauren Oliver, and when we got our copies of Rooms signed at BEA, Lauren actually recognized us! This was the fourth time we've been to one of her signings, so clearly, we love her. This is her first adult novel, and we're all curious to see what she brings to this genre.


Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid- Road trip books are pretty much our favorite kind of books ever, so we we'll read anything that promises a good road trip story. This book is about a girl who goes on a road trip, and along the way, she meets four different characters. The main character changes the lives of the people she meets, and Let's Get Lost is about each character's story and how they all relate to each other. Luckily, we got this book just in time for summer, so we can read this fun, summery book while relaxing poolside. :)


The Iron Trial by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare- Holly Black and Cassandra Clare are two of our favorite authors, so we're ecstatic about the fact that they decided to write a new book together! They are both talented writers and they have such a great friendship, so I can't imagine how a book written by the two of them could be anything but amazing. The Iron Trial is the first book in a middle grade fantasy series, and we all feel so lucky that we were able to get our hands on early copies of this book.




The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black- As I just mentioned, Holly Black is one of our favorite authors. This book is Holly Black's first book about faeries since her Modern Faerie Tales series, which I believe all three of us have read and loved (Rachel definitely has!). Holly Black writes faeries so well, and while we're not normally fans of books about faeries, we all make an exception for Holly Black because she's such a talented writer.


The next three categories are the top five books that each one of us is personally excited for.

Rachel's Top Five BEA Books

Falling into Place by Amy Zhang- I've heard so many positive things about this book. It has been described as a haunting and emotional book that will appeal to fans of Lauren Oliver, Gayle Forman, and Jay Asher (aka three of my favorite authors). It's about suicide/a suicide attempt, and I'm looking forward to getting into this story about such a heavy topic.

Get Even by Gretchen McNeil- I'm getting some Pretty Little Liars vibes from this book, and I mean that in the best way possible! Get Even sounds like a fun, dramatic, mysterious story about teenage girls, high school, and revenge. I think it's going to be a great summer read!

Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley- This book takes place in 1959 Virginia, during segregation/integration/the Civil Rights Movement. It's about two teenagers--a black girl integrating into an all-white high school, and a white girl who already attends that high school. I expect this book to be really powerful, and I'm interested in exploring this topic in the context of a Young Adult book.

Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer- This book is about a boarding school, and since I love boarding school stories, I'm already sold on this book! The summary seems a bit vague and mysterious to me, so I'm excited to dive into this story without really knowing what to expect.

Zac and Mia by A.J. Betts- This book seems like a cross between Eleanor & Park and The Fault in Our Stars. I have no idea if that description I've come up with is at all accurate to the book, but I'm just going to stick with that for now.* This book is about friendship and cancer, and I've heard some amazing things about it!

*Right after I wrote this, I looked the book up on Goodreads and the first sentence in the summary is literally: "The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park in this tough and tender young adult novel that's a lot about love (and a little about cancer)." NAILED IT.


Megan's Top Five BEA Books

Blackbird by Anna Carey- I loved Anna Carey's other books and when I saw that Blackbird is a suspense thriller I was already excited. Then when you add in the fact that it's written in second person about a girl with amnesia who has people trying to kill her, you can definitely SIGN ME UP.


Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini- I have always found Salem Massachusetts and the witch trials to be so interesting so I'm super excited to read the start of Josephine Angelini's new series! Plus a main character who suffers from really bad allergies? As an asthmatic who insists on playing soccer and running track, I feel ya girl. This sounds like the perfect Halloween read to me and I can't wait to pick it up!

Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot- I've heard some really great things about this book so far and I've seen it compared to The Great Gatsby on many occasions. If this is a modern contemporary that is full of summer partying and interesting characters that captures the fun, nostalgic feeling of Gatsby then I am sure that I will love every second of it! This book sounds like a perfect summer read and I can't wait to pick it up!


Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick- This book is basically about a girl who is held hostage and forced to help lead two escaped criminals down a mountain in the middle of winter. And of course one of them is attractive. It's sure to be a dose of some major Stockholm syndrome but I'm unabashedly excited to read it! I can't imagine that Becca Fitzpatrick won't write another amazingly attractive guy because we all know I loved me some fangirling over Patch.

Famous in Love by Rebecca Serle- This book is about a girl who gets cast in the next big book to movie adaptation of a YA novel. Soon the love triangle she is supposed to be acting out onscreen starts becoming a little too real off-screen. This book sounds absolutely adorable and I can't wait to read it this summer! It's like an inside look on all of the crazy shipping that always goes on while movies are filming and my inner fangirl is SO READY for this book!


Katherine's Top Five BEA Books

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson- This book focuses on sibling relationships while growing up with a little romance thrown in. Her previous book was also focused on similar things, so I have high expectations. Also the cover is one the prettiest things I have ever seen.  

 Landline by Rainbow Rowell- This book is a contemporary sort of time travel-not time travel story. It's like It's Wonderful Life with the idea of what if? What if we didn't get married, what would each life be like? I love Rainbow's books, and all three of us have been anticipating Landline and can't wait to read it. 

by Katie Coyle- Okay, it's the apocalypse and then the characters go on a road trip to find their parents who may be a part of a religious cult. I am super excited to start reading this.

Damsel Distressed  by Kelsey Macke- This book is not your everyday fairy tale. The main character is the stepsister to the evil Ella. I feel like Imogen is going to be a character that I can relate to. I'm excited for this twist in the original Cinderella story. (Also another amazing cover!)

A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall- Stories that have little intertwining stories within are my favorite. This being something of the sort and a romance remind me of Love Actually and make me happy. I am excited to read about the quirky romance between two students that baristas, a bus driver, and even a squirrel want to see come true. 

(Wow all these covers are amazing!)


As you can see, we picked up some really exciting books at BEA! We're so lucky that we had the opportunity to attend BEA, and we're all looking forward to reading these books this summer!

If you attended BEA: what are the most exciting books you picked up? If you did not attend BEA: which of the above books are you eagerly anticipating? Let us know down in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment