Friday, June 27, 2014

Megan Rambles About City of Heavenly Fire

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
From GoodreadsIn this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother.

Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.

The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?

When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...

Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments!


So at about 2 am this morning I finished City of Heavenly Fire. I know, I know it's been a month so what the heck was I waiting on? Basically I dragged my feet reading this because I was so desperate for this series not to end. Now I'm going to try my best to explain my feelings about this book while it is still fresh in my mind. This review will be spoiler free for CoHF, but no promises about Cassie's other books.

City of Heavenly Fire had everything that I've come to expect from a Cassandra Clare book and of course I absolutely LOVED IT. In case you haven't heard or seen pictures, the book is gigantic, over 700 pages, so anyone who was worried about there not being an adequate ending, don't worry. Cassie definitely had enough space to tie up everything I was looking for and resolve the conflicts left over from the other books in the series.

The entire book was so high stakes, emotionally painful, and frustrating that there were several times where I actually screamed out loud. Seriously, if you thought the adults were a bunch of incompetent morons in City of Glass just wait until you read City of Heavenly Fire! The Clave is the most screwed up, hypocritical, self-serving government in existence. To quote a lovely gem of a conversation, Me: "THE CLAVE SUCKS OMFG", Rachel: "YES. Seriously this whole book is 'How Not to Run a Government by The Clave".

Cassie made sure to expertly (and sometimes evilly) jump between characters so that one moment you are reading about a SUPER INTENSE conflict that is a life or death situation and then the next second, you're in a happy little Jace and Clary moment or chilling with the werewolves in New York. While this could at times be CRAZY FRUSTRATING it did create suspense and it gave me a break from all of the intensity and sadness. Then I could get some happiness thrown in too. 

And there was plenty of happiness! (That ONE SCENE in the cave anyone? Hmmmm?) The characters were just as snarky, sarcastic, and hysterical as they have always been. Seriously, only these characters could be literally walking into hell and be cracking jokes the entire time. One of my favorite things about this series has been Cassie's ability to make the gravity of a situation present, but also to lighten the mood with her signature hysterical one-liners and banter. 

One of the characters that stood out to me in this book in particular was Alec. Since somewhere between City of Ashes and City of Glass Alec Lightwood has wormed his way into my heart and quickly become one of my favorites. In this book he was amazing! His sass was out of control and he was slinging one-liners left and right. Not to mention his totally bad-ass fighting skills were on full display. We've been really used to Jace and seeing how great he is and how far he has come since the first book; so I really liked seeing Alec get the same treatment. His transformation since book one is amazing and I love, love, love, love Alec. (*cough* and Malec *cough*)

There was also that thing that Cassie did. If you've read the book, you know exactly what I'm talking about. JUST WHY CASSIE WHY? If you haven't read the book, I'm sorry for frightening you, but seriously have some tissues ready. It's Cassie Clare ending a series people! What did you expect?

I could really go on and on forever about all of the great references to The Infernal Devices that were in here, along with an excellent setup for The Dark Artifices, which is shaping up to be another amazing series, but this ramble is already getting ridiculously long. So instead, I'm going to wrap this up by getting a little nostalgic on all of you.

When I finished Harry Potter I was in such a reading rut and didn't want to pick anything up. City of Bones was thrown at me by some family friends and I so grateful for it. These characters have meant so much to me since I was in middle school. Cassandra Clare was the first author that I followed on Twitter, which led to me discovering book blogs, and eventually, Rachel and I deciding to try to run one ourselves. 

Cassie's books have been such a big part of my life for the past few years and it feels strange that there won't be another book in The Mortal Instruments. Of course I know that I have so many other excellent series from Cassie that are coming soon, but for now the story is over and that's a really sad thing for me.

I honestly don't know if I would be sitting here writing this blog post if it wasn't for Cassandra Clare and The Mortal Instruments. This series gave me so much more than characters and a story to love. It opened me up to the possibility of running a blog, being involved in the publishing community, and maybe even if I'm lucky someday, working in publishing.

So a million thanks to Cassandra Clare for writing such amazing books that make me feel all of the feels. Without her, I don't know what the heck I would be doing with my life right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment