Thursday, July 12, 2012

Katherine Rambles About The Mockingbirds

Today we have a guest ramble from our friend Katherine! Yay Katherine! *cheers* *dances* *throws confetti* She's really awesome and book-obsessed, so we asked her to start writing some rambles for us.

Here is a picture of her reading. Well, and Megan. (Also our friend Denise is in the background.) :D
Katherine and Megan, reading books at school instead of socializing or wreaking havoc upon the building like our peers.
Katherine is reading Let it Snow and Megan is reading Looking for Alaska, which I forced them to read recommended to them. YAY JOHN GREEN! I've taught them well. :)
(Also they totally don't know I'm posting this picture. HOPE THIS IS COOL, GUYS.)

Anyway. So let's move on to the actual ramble..

The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney
From Goodreads:
Some schools have honor codes.
Others have handbooks.
Themis Academy has the Mockingbirds.

Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way--the Themis Way. So when Alex is date raped during her junior year, she has two options: stay silent and hope someone helps her, or enlist the Mockingbirds--a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of their fellow peers.

In this honest, page-turning account of a teen girl's struggle to stand up for herself, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that if you love something or someone--especially yourself--you fight for it.



I really really liked this book. I’ve had it just sitting on my table waiting to be read and on the last day of school I picked it up. Only a few chapters in, I was silently yelling at myself for not picking it up sooner. First off, this book takes place at Themis Academy which is a boarding school, and all boarding school books are good books. But Themis is different than other schools, because the teachers think that the kids there are perfect, so they don't feel the need to help them.

Daisy Whitney was able to make all the characters likeable. Alex is the main character whom most of the time I liked. There were times when I wanted to tap her on the shoulder and just tell her brain to stop making all these scenarios up that make her opinion waver, but her faults made her better. Alex has such a great relationship with her music that I just love. And T.S, Maia and Martin are such amazing friends. T.S is her best friend who is a major soccer player, and she has a better relationship with Casey, Alex’s sister which is interesting. And then there is Maia, her other roommate who is a upcoming law student. And Martin, awww as soon as I met him I just loved him and his corny jokes. He’s so nerdy and cute.

To Kill a Mockingbird was one of Daisy Whitney’s favorite books. There are little parts of this book that are related to To Kill a Mockingbird, that I really enjoyed. The Mockingbirds, which is like a underground justice system that is only known to the students. The Mockingbirds do the things that the school won’t, they are Atticus Finch and Boo Radley rolled into one. The group was made to help out the students because the teachers are oblivious and the school board thinks that they are perfect, so they won’t need any help. While reading I kept comparing things in the book to Speak too. Both Melinda and Alex went through the same things. But they had different approaches to things, while Alex spoke up to her friends, Melinda didn’t.

The most amazing part of this book is that it relates to Daisy’s own story. While she was in college, she was date raped, and this was a time where it wasn’t taken as seriously. I am amazed on how well she was able to convey her own emotions into Alex’s character. The Mockingbirds is a book that I love, and is a book that I think all teenage girls should read. and there is a sequel-so there’s that to look forward to!
Just to end my first post, I just want to say that it is completely awesome that Megan and Rachel are letting me write some rambles here so thanks!!!!   

Thanks, Katherine! This book sounds really good. I will definitely be reading it soon. :)

Books mentioned:

These books are amazing. If you haven't read them yet, you should.

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment