Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Rachel Rambles About Timepiece

Timepiece by Myra McEntire
From Goodreads:
A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking...

Kaleb Ballard's relentless flirting is interrupted when Jack Landers, the man who tried to murder his father, timeslips in and attacks before disappearing just as quickly. But Kaleb has never before been able to see time travelers, unlike many of his friends associated with the mysterious Hourglass organization. Are Kaleb's powers expanding, or is something very wrong?

Then the Hourglass is issued an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the time gene, or time will be altered with devastating results.

Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Jack. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough...

The follow-up to Hourglass, Timepiece blends the paranormal, science fiction, mystery, and suspense genres into a nonstop thrill ride where every second counts.

I loved Hourglass, so I have been eagerly anticipating Timepiece for awhile now. It was weird at first, reading from Kaleb's point of view instead of Emerson's, but I got used to it pretty quickly. I know a lot of people fell in love with him in the first book, but I wasn't one of them. I was kind of wary about reading an entire book from his point of view, but I needn't have worried. This book made me love him. Now that I've finished the book I'm like I NEED MORE KALEB PLEASE BECAUSE OF REASONS.


While the first book focused on Emerson and Michael, this book is more about Kaleb and Lily. I mean, Emerson and Michael are still in the story, but they're more like side characters. I think this is such a cool approach to a series. I love the idea of stepping away from some characters to focus on others with each book. It allows all the characters to be really developed and important to the story.


Being in Kaleb's brain was scary at first, but after awhile I grew to love it. He is such a fascinating character. His life is a bit of a mess, with everything he has to deal with concerning his parents, Jack, and Hourglass. Kaleb seems like a cocky and arrogant jerk who I kind of wanted to punch in the first book, but once you see what is actually happening in that brain of his, his actions make a little more sense. Beginning-of-the-book Kaleb transforms into someone different and much better by the end.

This book is completely EPIC. The time travel and the rips and the veils and the Infinityglass... There are so many different things going on at once, but they all tie together to make a suspenseful and action-packed plot. There is always something BIG happening, and this book is never boring.

I absolutely love the romance between Kaleb and Lily. I wouldn't say I love them more than Emerson and Michael, but both couples are pretty equal. Kaleb makes a bad first impression on Lily, and for a long time the two of them don't even get along. There is a lot of banter between them--lots of "I hate you" "I hate you too" which obviously means they are totally in love with each other and they'll be together forever. Obviously.


But seriously, I really enjoyed watching their relationship change and evolve throughout the novel. I completely adore Lily, and I think her personality works really well with Kaleb's.

This novel really impressed me. It has everything I loved about Hourglass and more. The characters are fun and likable, the plot is fast-paced and exciting, and the world of time traveling is so thorough and well-developed. Timepiece exceeded my expectations, and I'm looking forward to reading the third book!





-Rachel

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Rachel! I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greta review!! I totally agree on most said here! But...I truly liked Emerson and Kaleb (I know go on and hate) ;) haha but o wells! I really liked Lily and Kaleb at the end!! I ALWAYS liked Kaleb!! #TeamKaleb all the way! But Kaleb and Lily ended up being so cute!! I'm super excited for book three too!! It won't get here any faster hah?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Myra McEntire just commented on my blog! :) *flails* *fangirls* Thanks Jaiden! I think Emerson and Kaleb COULD have worked out well, but I'm really happy with the way things are. :D
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys I nominated you's for the Liebster Blog Award! Details here : http://severalbooksatonce.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/liebster-blog-award_05.html :)

    ReplyDelete