Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My Book Boyfriend (1)

My Book Boyfriend is hosted by The Unread Reader.

I discovered this meme for the first time the other day, and I was like THIS IS PERFECTION I MUST PARTICIPATE. Because really, the ratio of time I spend obsessing over boys in books to NOT obsessing over boys in books is like 1,000,000:1.

The first boy I'm going to feature is Augustus Waters from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.


Trust me, you will not regret it.


The Fault in Our Stars is about two teenagers named Hazel and Augustus who have cancer. They meet at Cancer Kid Support group and things happen and those things made me fall in love with Augustus.

A physical description of Augustus, taken directly from the book: "Long and leanly muscular, he dwarfed the molded plastic elementary school chair he was sitting in. Mahogany hair, straight and short. He looked my age, maybe a year older, and he sat with his tailbone against the edge of the chair, his posture aggressively poor, one hand half in a pocket of dark jeans." (page 9)


Also he has blue eyes and a prosthetic leg.

Reasons why I love Augustus Waters:
  • He chooses his behaviors based on their metaphorical resonances.
  • He reads books.
  • He uses big words, even if he doesn't know exactly what they mean.
  • He memorizes soliloquies to deliver to Hazel instead of just having a normal conversation.
  • He takes existentially fraught free throws.
  • He makes sure to save the fictional children being held hostage in video games, even if it means losing the game.
  • Instead of answering the phone with "hello" like a normal person, he answers by stating the name of the whoever is calling him. So Hazel calls him, and when he picks up the phone he just says "Hazel Grace".
  •  
Some things he has said:

"I'm on a roller coaster that only goes up, my friend." -page 11

"Because you're beautiful. I enjoy looking at beautiful people, and I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence." -page 16

"I'm a big believer in metaphor, Hazel Grace." -page 21

"You are so busy being you that you have no idea how utterly unprecedented you are." -page 123

"It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you." -page 176

"My nostalgia is so extreme that I am capable of missing a swing my butt never actually touched." -page 236

I know I'm supposed to include pictures of what he looks like, but I have a really difficult time matching up book characters with models/actors/famous people/random pictures on the internet. So... I'm just not going to do that. Is that cool? I hope that's cool.

Anyway, I really love The Fault in Our Stars, and I really love Augustus Waters. Also I'm so glad I discovered this meme because it is absolutely perfect for me. :)

-Rachel

1 comment:

  1. I picture him as someone like Aaron Johnson, even tho he doesn't have mahogany hair but I mean, not many male celebrities do.. lol but yeah, just thought i'd share that, I also love this book! :)

    ReplyDelete