Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Rachel Rambles About Daughter of Smoke and Bone

 From Goodreads:
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?


So I was supposed to do this ramble a few days ago. You know, when I actually finished the book. But I've been very busy lately doing PRODUCTIVE THINGS. Okay, so I've been watching about twenty hours of Youtube videos a day. Whatever.

My point is that I have been distracted by shiny things and I totally forgot to write this ramble. But I'm doing it now, so better late than never.

Okay, so THIS BOOK IS AMAZING. I have been hearing so much buzz about this book for months, and I bought it the week it came out. But it's taken me awhile to get to it as there are SO MANY BOOKS, SO LITTLE TIME.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is very... unusual, I guess. It doesn't even come close to what I usually read, and I kind of love it. The plot and the world it takes place in can be confusing and hard to keep up with at times, but everything about this book is new and original and INTERESTING.

The main character, Karou, is one of my favorite protagonists I've read recently. She's strong and tough and badass and you guys, she has BLUE HAIR. And tattoos. She is just so awesome and I kind of want to be her.

The book changes POV from Karou to Akiva, which was actually really cool. Sometimes I don't really like multiple POVs, but they were definitely essential to this story. I really liked knowing what was going on in both Karou and Akiva's head. There were also a lot of flashbacks, where a lot of secrets were uncovered and loose ends were tied up and things began to make sense.

The story is told in a very unique way, and I absolutely love it. Daughter of Smoke and Bone is literally unlike anything I've ever read. This was one of those books that I had trouble putting down, and when I forced myself to close it and walk away, I spent all of my time thinking about it.

Awesome characters. A beautiful and scary setting. Action. Romance. And throughout the entire book, mystery. Karou spends the majority of the book struggling to solve the mystery who she truly is, and the reader struggles along with her.

I think this is one of those books that will stick with me for a long time. I am drawn to the characters and the world and the twists and turns of the story.

OH. And the ending? Woah. Just... WOAH. No matter how much I complain about cliffhangers or shocking twists or whatever, I really love books with intense endings. And Daughter of Smoke and Bone definitely had an intense ending. It's pretty awesome, and it makes me want to read the next book SO BADLY.

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment