Thursday, February 23, 2012

Megan Rambles About Eve

Eve by Anna Carey

From Goodreads: The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.


First, I'd like to thank Cheryl for letting me borrow her copy of this book long enough to read it and also fall in love with it. I've gotta say that I really like dystopian books. I think the reason I like them so much is that each one is different. If you read too many vampire books for example, you might get bored because they're usually pretty similar (not to bash vampire books or anything. It's true about basically any kind of book really) Dystopia stories just aren't like that, because there are so many different ways the world could have ended! And so many different ways a society can be completely insane/out of line/ controlling/ totally and completely screwed up. So besides my love for dystopian books, I was a bit wary of reading this one. Eve has gotten some mixed reviews, but I for one encourage you to read it! It really is worth it!

Like Rachel, I can see why some people might not like the book. Towards the beginning Eve was kind of naive, which irritated me a bit. But you can't really blame her when she's been taught her entire life that men are evil. So when one suddenly appears before her, looking slightly like he might try to kill her (and also very hot) she has a right to be freaked out. Even later in the story though, Eve grows more accustomed to the way the world really is, and looses up a bit.

There is so much else that I loved about Eve's world though. Anna Carey did a really good job of describing each situation that Eve was in. If she was stuck inside her school, I felt trapped too. When she broke free, and was being chased, I wanted to start running away. The world that she created was brilliant, and I could really see how it used to be our world. Plus, the sudden disappearance of the majority of the population of the world because of a disease and then a complete fail of a cure doesn't seem that far off of something that could actually happen.

This book was full of  characters that I loved, and the story was definitely entertaining. It kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the entire book, and then I reached the end. I couldn't believe it was over! It certainly left me waiting for the sequel! I recommend picking Eve up ASAP. You won't regret it! Oh, and the best part? I GET TO MEET ANNA CAREY IN APRIL! *giggles* *jumps around happily*

And now, back to Fever.
-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment