Thursday, February 9, 2012

Megan Rambles About Paper Towns

Paper Towns by John Green

From Goodreads:Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life--dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge--he follows. After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues--and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.
Printz medalist John Green returns with the brilliant wit and searing emotional honesty that have inspired a new generation of readers.




Where to start with this book? It's just so, so, so GOOD. If you read our reviews, then you may have noticed the crazy amount of JOHN GREEN I have been reading lately. I am very behind. I've been reading all of his books, and loving every. single. one. of. them. Before I read this one, I think if you had to make me pick which book was my favorite, I would have said Looking for Alaska. But Paper Towns is also so incredibly awesome, but in a different way. 

Looking for Alaska was the kind of book that makes you laugh, but also tears at your heart and makes you cry. (There was a lot of crying involved) That's probably why I loved it so much, because I completely felt for the characters and understood them. Paper Towns was almost the opposite. There was a problem, and when Margo disappeared, it definitely caused a lot of pain for the people around her. But there was a lot more of the hysterical banter and jokes that I've come to expect from all of John's characters. 

Q was probably my favorite of John's character's so far, because he was funny, but he never lost his head throughout the entire book. Even when other people gave up on Margo, he was hopeful that he and his friends could manage to find her. And while he did have a few moments where he did something slightly stupid, (he is a guy after all) Q didn't annoy me the way some other characters I've read have. 

Margo was also kind of amazing. She was mysterious, sarcastic, and completely bad ass. I loved the entire plot line of trying to figure out what happened to her, and where she went. I seriously think she and Alaska would get along well. Or you know be totally self destructive around each other. One of the two. I also loved Ben and Radar too. Angela and Lacey were also great characters who each had their moments of brilliance. I loved the supporting characters in this book, because they were all so funny! I think I died of laughter every time Ben opened his mouth. 

The message in this book was excellent, because it was all about how we look at other people, and realizing that they aren't always as perfect as the image they put forward. Now that I'm done being all deep about it, YOU SHOULD GO READ THIS. NOW. This book has it all, amazing characters, humor, adventure, with just a hint of mystery. All of this is wrapped up in a powerful message, and tied together with a perfect ending. I absolutely love this book, and you will too!

DFTBA.
-Megan 

No comments:

Post a Comment