Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Rachel Rambles About Fever

Fever by Lauren Destefano

From Goodreads:
Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.

In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.


Wither is one of my favorite books ever. I read it last year, the week it was released, and promptly fell in love with the story. AND THEN I HAD TO WAIT A WHOLE YEAR TO READ THE SEQUEL. Needless to say, I was counting down the day's till Fever's release, obsessing over what I thought would happen next, generally having VERY HIGH EXPECTATIONS. So high, in fact, that I feared the book would not live up to them.


BUT I WAS SO WRONG YOU GUYS THIS BOOK IS THE BEST THING EVER. First of all, let's just take a moment to admire the cover. IT IS SO PRETTY AND SHINY AND JUST GORGEOUS. And the words inside? They are seven billion times more beautiful.


Every word of every sentence of every page of Lauren DeStefano's books is just beautiful and haunting and thoughtful and lovely. I just want to climb into her books and roll around inside the beautiful words. (On a side note: could I say the word beautiful any more times? I don't think so..)


Fever picks off right where Wither left off, with Rhine and Gabriel having just escaped the mansion. They're out! They're safe! Right?


WRONGWRONGWRONGWRONG.


They are not safe or happy or comfortable at all in this book. They are led into dangerous situations and traps and are constantly questioning what freedom really is. They're out of the mansion, but they aren't living the perfect, free lifestyle they thought they would be.


The plot of Fever never slows down even for a second. Things are always HAPPENING. The story twists and turns and leaves you gasping for air as you try to keep up.


I read this book in five hours without stopping. (Also, I was sick. I had a FEVER while reading FEVER. hahahahhahahaa. Oh, I crack myself up.) It is beyond epic and amazing and AHHHHHHHHH WHEN IT ENDED?!?!?! W-O-W. I highly recommend this book to EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE. FIVE HUNDRED MILLION STARS. I didn't think it was possible, but Fever is even better than Wither!


Oh and by the way, remember that time I went with my best friend and sister and some homemade t-shirts to meet Lauren DeStefano? THAT TIME WAS THE BEST TIME EVER! Lauren is so nice and awesome and I think I probably sounded really dumb when I talked to her but I was freaking out inside and I was trying so hard not to fangirl but I'm pretty sure I failed epically and ahhhh!!!!


At Doylestown Bookshop, an AWESOME indie bookstore in PA!
So..... When can I read Book 3?

*crickets*


-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment