Sunday, February 5, 2012

Rachel Rambles About Catching Jordan

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally 


From Goodreads:


What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starting position... suddenly she's hoping he'll see her as more than just a teammate.

I've been wanting to read this book for quite a long time, because honestly, I thought the cover was really cute. So my sister bought it the other day and I kind of pounced on it and was all MUST. READ. IMMEDIATELY. I'm a ridiculously big fan of cute, romantic contemporaries with swoony boys and funny characters, so this seemed like it would be right up my alley. I had super high expectations for this, and you guys, IT EXCEEDED THEM SO MUCH.


Before I go on, I should probably point out that I am not a big fan of football. Or any sports, really. I don't hate them... I just don't play them. Or watch them. Or understand them. So there were a few times in this book where plays in football games were being described, and my eyes kind of glazed over because I had no idea what was happening. BUT ALL IS WELL. I still enjoyed the book. Whether you like football or not is irrelevant. Catching Jordan is an awesome book regardless of if you have any interest in sports whatsoever.


Jordan Woods is a really fun character. She is the quarterback of the football team, and all her life she has been considered one of the guys. She has a great group of guy friends who are just so hysterical and fun. The supporting characters in this book made me laugh out loud every scene they were in. Jordan is strong and tough and tomboyish and totally not afraid of what others think of her. In other words, she is awesome. Reading from her point of view was so refreshing, because she is not a "typical girl". She is not into makeup or fashion or anything that you would normally associate with girls. And I love that about her. 


And then there are some boys... Henry has been Jordan's best friend for most of her life, and it seems like nothing could ever come between their friendship. Throughout the book, I found myself wishing that I had a Henry. He is just so sweet and funny and- AHHHH! I'm sorry, that was just my heart exploding with love. 


But wait! There's more! Ty is an equally amazing and swoony boy who is new in town. The only problem? He is also a quarterback, and Jordan is worried that he'll steal her spot on the team. Also, he is hot. Very, very hot. It's no surprise that Jordan starts to fall for him. But is he really the right guy for her? *suspenseful music*
DUN DUN DUN.... 
I don't know, I guess you'll have to read the book to find out!

This book isn't just about romance, though. There are a lot of interesting relationships between Jordan and her friends and family. Throughout the book, Jordan isn't entirely focused on THE BOY. There is also a lot of time for her to spend time with her friends or navigate the rough relationship she has with her father. She hangs out with her brother and talks to her mom. And, of course, she plays football. A LOT of football.



If you like fun, cute, romantic contemporaries, then I highly recommend this book. I laughed and swooned, and okay I MAYBE, JUST MAYBE teared up at some parts. OH! And there's going to be a companion novel called STEALING PARKER! I am so excited to read it!


-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment