Thursday, March 15, 2012

Megan and Rachel Ramble About Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

From Goodreads: Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.


Megan: I feel the need to start this ramble with a note to the person who created this book. It goes something like this: Dear Stephanie Perkins, you are a genius. Thank you for being awesome and writing these books. 

Rachel: I AGREE WITH THIS SO MUCH. STEPHANIE PERKINS IS MY HERO AND SHE WRITES THE BEST BOYS EVER AND I LOVE HER. Not to be creepy or weird or anything.

Megan: Now that our love for Stephanie Perkins has been clearly expressed, on to the book! 

Rachel: Yes. The book. Um, where to even begin? *heart explodes with love* I thought LOLA wouldn't even be able to live up to ANNA, but luckily, I was wrong. They are equally amazing!

Megan: They so are! I loved how much Anna and St. Clair showed up in this book! It wasn't just a mentioning as the characters walked past each other, they played actual, important roles in each others lives. I loved that it was like continuing Anna and St. Clair's story, just through a different character with her own issues. Plus, I mean CRICKET! ST. CLAIR! OH MY GOD.

Rachel: QUICK! You have to be stuck in an elevator with Cricket or St. Clair. WHO DO YOU PICK?

Megan: AHHH! Why do you ASK me questions like that?? Probably Cricket, only because I trust his tinkering/invention skills to be able to get us OUT of the elevator. But I wouldn't be complaining being stuck withe either one of them! Seriously, everyone, I have a challenge for you! Read BOTH of these books (preferably right now) and then TRY to answer this question: St. Clair or Cricket? And I say try because I know you will fail.

Rachel: I know that was a mean question. Especially because I can't even answer it myself. :D So anyway, yeah I LOVE CRICKET. *swoons* He is one of the most perfect guys ever. But he's not the only reason to love this book! There are so many others! Like, for example: LOLA. She is crazy and unique and fun and original and badass and awesome and I love her. She is totally unafraid to be different, to be herself. I admire her and I want to be her. 

Megan: I love her so much!! I wish I had enough confidence to wear HALF  of the stuff that she does! Her confidence really is amazing, and I would love to hang out with her! Also: Cricket with all of his inventions? I LOVE IT!  I've said this to Rachel before, but I shall share it! The fun of contemporaries like this one is that you know Lola and Cricket are going to be together, and you just get to ride along to find out HOW. 

Rachel: Exactly. And the ride is crazy and frustrating and surprising and funny and awesome! Another thing I love about this book is Lola's parents. She has two dads! It shouldn't be something that's uncommon in books, but unfortunately, it is. So this was really refreshing. Her dads are really amazing, and I love their whole family dynamic. Lola and Cricket both struggle with situations at home that aren't always perfect, and it's very realistic. Also: THE PIE! (This makes no sense if you haven't read the book. Which is why you should go read it immediately!)

Megan: OH I WANT THE PIE! And I also loved her dads so much! They were hysterical, and awesome parents. Plus, I can't help but feel bad for her, because she's got double the over protective dadness. But they mean well, so it's all good! 

Rachel: *stares dreamily off into the distance* I'm sorry what? I was thinking about pie. And Cricket. Cricket eating pie. Pie and Cricket would be nice right now. Or anytime really.

Megan: That would seriously be awesome! I have to say the entire book I was very pro-Cricket and anti-Max. Because HELLO. IT'S CRICKET. Also: this just occurred to me. I am going to seriously recommend that you read Anna and the French Kiss before you read this. It isn't necessary, but it will make all of the scenes where Anna and St. Clair show up that much more special. 

Rachel: Oh. Yeah! I mean, you should read Anna and the French Kiss because it is a FREAKING AWESOME BOOK, but also because it's cool to see the characters from ANNA pop up in LOLA. Hmmm. So it appears that we've covered everything about this book. In that case, I guess I'll just swoon over Cricket some more... CRICKET I LOVE YOU AND I KNOW THAT THIS IS KIND OF WEIRD CONSIDERING YOU DON'T KNOW ME OR ANYTHING (ALSO: LOLA) BUT I JUST HAVE ONE QUESTION WILL YOU MARRY ME?!!?! *clears throat* *acts professionalish* Um. I mean, this book was an excellent and thoughtful read and I enjoyed the experience I went through when reading it.

Megan: CRICKET IS MINE! *coughs* oh, right. Reviewing.....You should seriously go read these books like right now because they are THE BEST THINGS EVER. WE certainly LOVE Stephanie Perkins, and you can share in the love! Leave a comment below telling us what you thought of these AWESOME books, and the COMPLETELY AWESOME person who wrote them! Otherwise, busy yourself with, you know, reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment