Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Rachel and Megan Ramble About Pandemonium

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

From Goodreads:
 I’m pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.


Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.

This book is so crazy and amazing that it has inspired us to do A NEW THING. We're going to do this ramble together. Double the rambling! Double the fangirling! Double the insanity! Be prepared for the utter lack of professionalism that will occur in this ramble. (Also, we are going to refrain from major spoilers. This is just going to be our general reactions to the book.)


Rachel: OH. MY. GOD. THISBOOKISCRAZY. I thought Delirium was AMAZING. Like, I was pretty positive that Pandemonium couldn't possibly be as good as Delirium. Especially after that thing that happened at the end of Delirium.... BUT IT WAS SO GOOD! EXPECTATIONS WERE EXCEEDED SO MUCH!

Megan: I KNOW!!! Lauren Oliver is now the GOD of ending books in my mind! Seriously, there are Cassie Clare cliff hangers *coughCityofFallenAngelscough* but OH MY GOD. THE ENDING OF THIS BOOK. I kind of burst into tears, while screaming "WHAT? WHAT?!?!?!?!" and rereading the ending about 60 times to make sure the words were REAL. My parents were really thrilled with me at that moment.......

Rachel: Hahaha! Your poor family.. And yeah, I mean, between Before I Fall, Delirium, and now Pandemonium, I am seeing a pattern with Lauren Oliver's endings. They KILL me each and every time. So, um, yeah. If you haven't read Pandemonium yet, we won't tell you what happens at the end, but...wow. It was kind of awesome and epic but also shocking and terrible and evil. But we're getting way ahead here. Let's talk about, you know, the rest of the book. Besides the lovely ending.

Megan: Ooh and the ending of Hana too! But yes, yes the rest of the book! I love Lena so much. Usually I want a main character to be completely bad ass, but Lena isn't really like that. She has her moments, but she also has moments were she's just completely emotional and breaks down when she needs to. I love that about her, because honestly, I think I wouldn't like her as much if she didn't do that. There is some pretty screwed up stuff in Lena's world, and I think I would curl up in a ball and the corner and CRY endlessly if I was her. So basically, she handles things way better than I would.

Rachel: I love Lena. I think she's a really strong character. I mean, there are so many terrible things she has to deal with. I wouldn't be able to handle it. If I was in her place, I would act more like Bella-in-New-Moon-when-she-curls-up-in-the-fetal-position-and-cries. No offense to Bella or Twilight or anything. I'm just saying that that is how I would handle the situation. So I think Lena is pretty amazing to go on with her life and not give up and I love her for that. Okay. On to THE BOYS.

Megan: OH THE BOYS. It's only fitting to start this off with a OH MY GOD I LOVE ALEX. Because there aren't words for how much I love him. He is amazing and just.............gah! I believe my first reaction when I learned about Julian, because IT'S ALEX. There can't be anyone else for Lena! But as the story went on, I found myself falling more and more in love with him. I think that really shows just how good Lauren Oliver is at creating her characters. You can't NOT fall in love with them! Even the evils of the whole government make sense in a screwed up way. So as much as I love Alex, there is a little love for Julian sneaking in there....so Rachel, feel free to FANGIRL over the guys too, but how about that Then and Now writing style for this book?

Rachel: So wow, way to totally read my mind and guess what I wanted to talk about next... Okay, I'll make the part about the boys quick: MY HEART HURTS. I just... I can't handle it... And it's impossible to properly discuss my feelings without major spoilers, so yeah. Just know that after reading this book, my brain was all "aofhlmpaerygoubvljwepghWHATTT?!?!?!?!!"  *clears throat* Ahem. So. This book is written just perfectly. It alternates from Then and Now, which has the potential to be weird or confusing, but it's totally not. With Lauren Oliver's writing, it works so well and I couldn't imagine the book being written any other way. The writing style is so unique and so completely perfect for this story.

Megan: Exactly! Basically, this book was just amazing. I really couldn't imagine following Delirium any other way. If you have not read this series, you definitely need to dig yourself out from under a rock, and RUN to a bookstore to get these now. I love everything about these books from the plot, to the world, and from the main characters to the supporting characters. Also: Requiem? When oh when will you show up at my door??

Rachel: I need Requiem like yesterday! So to recap: This book is so unbelievably amazing! I still can't decide which I like better: Delirium or Pandemonium, but let me assure you, they are both so freaking good. *flails* SO MUCH LOVE! Megan, would you like to add anything before we leave?

Megan: I think you summed it up! We'll release all of you from this longer than usual ramble, and let you get back to PICKING UP THESE BOOKS. Because I know that's what you're going to do right? *smiles politely*

Rachel: Have you read Pandemonium yet? What did you think of it? Let us know in the comments! We can fangirl together! Also, let us know what you think of this new joint ramble thing we're trying. :) We had fun squealing and flailing and freaking out. We hope you enjoyed reading it!

No comments:

Post a Comment