Saturday, March 10, 2012

Rachel Rambles About Hourglass

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

From Goodreads:
One hour to rewrite the past . . .
 
For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.
Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.


Hello, Michael Weaver. *swoons*


*glances up* Oh, hi. Didn't see you there... Uh... *tears gaze away from Michael* *wipes stupid grin off face* I was just, um, admiring this character. He's really smart and hot and funny and mysterious and hot. I'M SORRY AM I DROOLING? Oh right. I'm supposed to talk about, like, the book. And stuff.


THIS BOOK IS AMAZING. I am in love with it. Seriously. If I was a book, I would definitely be proposing to Hourglass right this minute. This book is that amazing.


Myra McEntire's writing is just beautiful. This is one of those times that I just want to swim around in all her words because I love them so much. (What? Is that weird? I don't think so.) I want to hang onto every word, every sentence. By the end of the book, I was just dying for more.


The plot seems simple. Time travel. Lots of people create things about time travel. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I was completely blown away by the way time travel was presented in this book. It was original and surprising and captivating. The world Myra McEntire created is so unique and wonderful and thorough. It's not hard to imagine that everything in this book is real; that time travel really exists.


The main character, Emerson, is awesome. She might be tiny and unassuming, but don't underestimate her, because she can kick your ass. She's really funny and sarcastic and extremely realistic. There were so many times in this book where she would say or do something, and I was just like, "Oh, that's exactly what I would do in that situation!" Emerson is tough, but also vulnerable. She's shy and quiet, but also bold and daring. Her personality is a lot like a regular teenager's: it's not always predictable. I feel like Emerson is a character I can really relate to.


And okay, I can't hold it in any longer. MICHAEL. FREAKING. WEAVER. I love him a lot. I spent like, ninety percent of this book swooning over him. I mean, of course there were a few moments when I wanted to throw the book at the wall because Michael was being stupid/mean/frustrating/confusing/teenageboyish. But that just makes him even more amazing, because he has flaws too. 


Michael and Emerson's relationship is a crazy roller coaster that is confusing and weird and surprising and insane and unpredictable, and I love every minute of it. They're not really all insta-love and romantic. They have a lot of banter and joking and tension and sarcasm going on in all their conversations, which I absolutely love. They are one of the best couples ever, in my opinion.


Oh man. This ramble is getting really long. I could talk about this book for days. But I must end it soonish, so I will say one last thing: the supporting characters in this book are all awesome. Emerson's family and friends play important roles in her life. They are not just chilling on the sidelines waiting with a funny one-liner every now and then. They are a huge part of the story, and it's really refreshing to read about non-romantic but still loving relationships.


Also: Kaleb!!! <3. I mean, I am totally in love with Michael, of course. But I love Kaleb IN ADDITION TO Michael. WHEN CAN I READ TIMEPIECE?!


-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment