Monday, March 12, 2012

Rachel Rambles About The Miseducation of Cameron Post

The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth

From Goodreads:
When Cameron Post’s parents die suddenly in a car crash, her shocking first thought is relief. Relief she’ll never have to tell them that, hours earlier, she had been kissing a girl.

But that relief soon turns to heartbreak, as Cam is forced to move in with her conservative aunt Ruth. She knows that from this point on, her life will forever be different. Survival in Miles City, Montana, means blending in and not making waves, and Cam becomes an expert at this—especially at avoiding any questions about her sexuality.

Then Coley Taylor moves to town. Beautiful pickup-driving Coley is a perfect cowgirl with the perfect boyfriend to match. To Cam’s surprise, she and Coley become best friends—while Cam secretly dreams of something more. Just as that starts to seem like a real possibility, her secret is exposed. Ultrareligious Aunt Ruth takes drastic action to “fix” her niece, bringing Cam face-to-face with the cost of denying her true self—even if she’s not quite sure who that is.

The Miseducation of Cameron Post is a stunning and unforgettable literary debut about discovering who you are and finding the courage to live life according to your own rules.


This book took me a really long time to read. Like, a REALLY LONG TIME. I read a little bit of it every day or so, and didn't finish until about a month later. Which is weird for me. Usually, I read books from start to finish in a five hour sitting. You might assume that this took me a long time to read because I didn't like it, but surprisingly, that was not the case.


I really enjoyed this book. It's hard to try to voice my feelings about it, because I think it's such an important book that needs to be taken seriously. It's the kind of book that makes you think. It raises questions about yourself and your life. I think that one day, this book will be taught in English classrooms so that bored kids can be forced to analyze everything. (I mean this in the best possible way! Books have to be really good to be taught in schools.)


The book starts out from Cameron's point of view when she is twelve years old. At first, I thought it was a little weird that the protagonist was so young. But as the book goes on, it spans over several years. The reader gets to be right alongside Cameron as she grows up, transforming from a naive preteen girl to a young women. 


In this book, Cameron struggles to come to terms with who she really is. Being a teenage girl is rough; especially if you have feelings toward other girls. She is afraid and embarrassed and self-conscious about being gay, which makes sense considering the small, conventional town she lives in. Cameron knows she won't be accepted for being herself. 

I think this is a book that everyone should read. I'll admit, it's not the most thrilling or exciting or action-packed read. In fact, sometimes it gets a little boring. But by the time I turned the last page, I feel like this book changed me in some way. Which I know sounds really cheesy and whatever, but it's true. Cameron struggles with so much during her teenage years, yet she never give ups. She never lets other people turn her into someone she isn't. She brave in a way that teenagers can identify with, and she inspires me.



I know this review isn't very good or informative or helpful. It's just really hard for me to try to explain what this book means to me. It's unlike anything I usually read, but I wound up really enjoying this book. If you haven't read it yet, I definitely recommend it. I know it's long and not always that exciting, but trust me, you won't regret it.

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment