Tuesday, January 10, 2012

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS COMES OUT TODAY!


AHHHHHH THE FAULT IN OUR STARS COMES OUT TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Before we do anything else, let's just take a moment to watch the trailer. I don't know about you, but I have personally watched it about sixty thousand times.


So to pass the time while I wait for the UPS guy to bring my package (HURRY UP I NEED IT YESTERDAY), let's talk DISTRACT OURSELVES BY TALKING about one of my favorite things about John Green: the beginnings and endings of his books.

The idea for this post came to me a few days ago, when I was sitting in English with Megan. She was reading Katherines, and I was reading Paper Towns. I said something about how much I love the beginning of Paper Towns, and I read it out loud. And then Megan read the first sentence of Katherines to me and was like, yeah, John Green's books always have awesome beginnings.

So, I figured, what better way to end John Green week than by talking a little bit about HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BEGINNINGS AND ENDINGS OF HIS BOOKS.

John Green starts his books so amazingly and perfectly. In case you haven't read the books, I won't ruin your reading experience by posting the beginnings here. But the first word/sentence/paragraph/page/chapter of John's books is always awesome. His books start off with, well, not exactly a bang, but they're always thoughtful or funny or interesting or intriguing. Like, as soon as I read the beginnings of John's books, I am instantly hooked.

And the endings are as equally perfect. They end on such a brilliant, meaningful note, so that when I finally close the book, I am left sitting there not moving for a long time, just thinking about what I just read. His endings aren't overly happy, but they aren't overly sad either. They have just the right amount of hope for the characters. You know that ahead of them, there will still be troubles they must face. But you also know that somehow, these characters will overcome them.

The beginnings are strong and intriguing and make you continue reading. The endings tie up some loose strings, while leaving others untied, in the perfect combination that leaves you wishing for me, but also being weirdly satisfied.

I admire John Green so much. Whenever I read his books, I always take mental notes about his writing style, which I store away in my brain and look back on later. His books make me want to write my own books. There's something about his writing that inspires me like so few authors do. Just reading his books makes me a better writer. There's just something about the way he writes, the way his words flow, that is just so different to me. I can't quite put my finger on it, because it is very subtle, but I know that it's there.

Which leads us back to the beginnings and endings. I honestly love them all. Whenever I read his books, I think to myself, THAT IS HOW YOU START A BOOK! Or: WOW. THAT ENDING WAS JUST...WOW. It's hard to pick favorites, but if I HAD to choose....

Favorite beginning: Paper Towns. I love the whole first paragraph so much. It's the perfect way to begin the book. It's intriguing and interesting and clever and from that first paragraph, I knew that it would be a good book.

Favorite ending: Looking for Alaska. The last few lines are my favorite quotes...EVER. Like, I'm-going-to-get-this-tattooed-on-my-skin favorite quotes. (For now, I will resort to writing on my arm with Sharpie.)

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOW TFIOS ENDS! WILL IT BECOME MY NEW FAVORITE??? WE WILL SOON FIND OUT!

Well. I guess that's it for John Green week. *tears up* This was really fun, and I will miss obsessively posting blog posts every day. But don't worry, I'll still be around for some more The Fault in Our Stars related stuff. Look for a ramble about it in a few days, and I'll probably be posting about the TOUR DE NERDFIGHTING soon.

Yes. I am going to the Tour de Nerdfighting tomorrow in NYC and HOLY CRAP I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED YOU GUYS!!!!!!!

I will most likely be tweeting obsessively the whole time I'm at the event, so be sure to follow me on Twitter at @readwriteramble.

Happy reading everyone! I hope you all enjoy The Fault in Our Stars:)
DFTBA
-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment