Saturday, January 14, 2012

Megan Rambles About Hollowland

From Goodreads: "This is the way the world ends - not with a bang or a whimper, but with zombies breaking down the back door."

Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland left of America, and nothing will stand in her way - not violent marauders, a spoiled rock star, or an army of flesh-eating zombies.
This book was recommended to me by a friend on my Goodreads list. She said it was free on Kindle, so I read the description, decided it sounded cool, and downloaded it. Because you can't argue with free books. So thank you to Monica Perez for the great recommendation! 


So this was my first zombie book, and I have to be honest I was surprised by how much I liked it. I've had a bit of a zombie obsession lately since my dad started watching The Walking Dead, which is a really cool show on AMC. It's a show all about a group of humans trying to survive after a zombie apocalypse, and you can't help but get emotionally attached to them. I want to know what happens now! If you don't mind some graphic blood and guts, you should check it out. There is definitely some major zombie butt kicking that goes down.

Anywho, as soon as I started reading this book I was hooked. Remy was interesting, and her bravery was evident right away. She would go through hell and back for her little brother Max, which is basically what she's forced to do after he is evacuated from their quarantine during a zombie attack. The other thing that is obvious right away is how much of a complete badass Remy is! She can seriously take down like a whole army of zombies by herself, and she doesn't necessarily need a gun to do it. Something as simple as a match and some alcohol or a zombie leg, stick, or pipe will do. I'm not kidding. She actually does attempt to kill a few zombies with alcohol and matches. Whether it ends well or not...well just read to find out.

Remy wasn't the only badass zombie killer in this book though, there was also Blue, Lazlo, Harlow, and Ripley the lion. Yes I said lion. She is a freaking lion who follows them around and hates zombies. She kind of makes me want a pet lion in case there is like a zombie apocalypse or something. BECAUSE SHE COULD HANDLE IT. Harlow is a sweet girl, and even she does her fair share of zombie killing. Blue can definitely handle himself too. And then there is Lazlo. *sigh* swoony swoony Lazlo. I kind of love him. A lot. He's adorable, and protective, and OMG I LOVE HIM SO MUCH! *composes self* Seriously though. He's kind of hot. Like a lot hot.

This book had a lot of surprises, great characters, and an ending that was almost as deadly as the hoards of zombies that show up around every turn. I've already downloaded the sequel and I plan on reading it soon! *ignores giant pile of books teetering behind self* This book is also still FREE if you download it from amazon HERE. So I recommend down loading it if you have a Kindle. It's worth it. If not, it's still worth getting your hands on a copy. This book won't disappoint.

Happy reading everyone and DFTBA.
-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment