Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Megan Rambles About The Name of the Star

Hey everyone! So The Name of the Star is officially the first book I finished in 2012. First off, Happy New Year! I hope you all had a good break from school, or work, or whatever it is you usually have to do in your everyday life. For me, that's school, and I went back two days ago.snore I don't know about you, but I'd much rather be at home reading all day. So, as Rachel mentioned, I hadn't read any of John Green's books yet. *shields self from flying objects* I know. I know. That's bad. But I love him, and Hank too. So I've started reading An Abundance of Katherine's, and I used the 50% off Teen Books at www.bn.com that Tahereh Mafi tweeted about yesterday to buy ALL the rest of his books. Plus, I've got a few Amazon gift cards to spend. Once all, or at least some of these books show up, I'll be posting an In My Mailbox showing you guys what I got! *is excited* *loves books* I just love that new book smell. Know what I mean? *crickets* okay then. On to my ramble about the awesomeness that is The Name of the Star!

First: From Goodreads:
*stares* Preeeettttyyyyy *loves*
The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.
 

Now doesn't that sound awesome?? Check out how pretty the cover is too! It definitely gets across the whole "creepy" theme this book had going on. Seriously. AVOID READING THIS BOOK ALONE IN YOUR ROOM WHEN IT IS REALLY DARK. That lamp you have over by your chair in the corner? It might suddenly look like a creepy guy coming to kill you in a violent, painful way. And it will be terrifying. Until of course you realize it is just a lamp.*clears throat* NOT. That I have done that. ANYWHO.....


I kind of loved Rory. She was a great main character, and I loved the little southern touches that Maureen gave her, and the stories she had to tell about her family back home where hysterical. She was also really brave, but she wasn't stupid. She was still afraid Cause a guy threatening to attack you isn't scary. She's nuts for being scared. but she was also able to be brave.

Basically, I loved the cast of characters in this book. Jazza, her roomate, is probably one of the nicest people ever, and loved every single member of the ghost police. Plus, you know, Jerome is cute, and sweet, and smart. *hugs him* That was the other thing I really liked, there was romance in this book, but it wasn't the big, main focus like it can sometimes become. I loved how Maureen was able to do that. 

The scare factor was way high in this book, what with the whole crazy "Ripper" thing, and I kind of love that about it. This book scared the crap out of me, but I loved every single SECOND of terror that I felt. Plus, it kept me guessing until the very last second. I literally had no idea what was going to happen, and the last couple of chapters exploded with all of this STUFF GOING DOWN. Then, just when you think it's over: BAM!! THE ENDING hits you smack in the face. *thinks this is exactly what Maureen intended* She is the type to throw things at people. ANYWAY. The ending was so crazy SURPRISING. I didn't even see it coming. Like at all.Plus, you know, I got a super special signed copy from Books of Wonder(also known as the BEST BOOKSTORE ON THE PLANET) I so can't wait till the sequel for this one! GREAT JOB MAUREEN!!

-Megan



2 comments:

  1. You totally hit the nail on the head with this ramble - I had a really similar reaction to the novel when I read it, too! I'm so glad to have stumbled across this blog - keep it up, girls =)
    -Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! We're glad you like it!! :D

    ReplyDelete