Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Rachel Rambles About Everneath

From Goodreads:

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...


First of all, let's all take a moment to stare at the pretty cover. *gazes lovingly* *strokes* Preeeeeetttty.

Okay, then. Now that that's out of the way, I have a secret to tell you. Are you ready? *whispers* I love this book. Shh! Don't tell.

My heart swells with love for this book. I love the take on Greek Mythology, a subject Megan and I happen to be studying in school right now. It's also, incidentally, a subject that our teacher manages to make us hate. So it was really awesome to read this book and actually be like, "Oh wow. These Greek people are like, interesting and stuff". ("Interesting and stuff" is normal teenage speak, yo.)


Also: COLE and JACK. Oh wow oh wow oh wow. Jack is incredibly swoonworthy and I have a really big crush on him and wow can I just marry him right now? And then there's Cole, who has the whole dark and mysterious and possibly evil and AHEM dead sexy thing going on. Also HE PLAYS THE GUITAR AHHHH.


I'm sorry. I promise the hot guys aren't the only reason I love this book. THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS TO LOVE. The story alternates from the present to the past, which is a really interesting technique. There are so many ways for it to be confusing or for it to backfire completely, but it really works in Everneath. This story was surprisingly fast-paced, and I read this book in about a day because I just couldn't put it down. (Related: I was supposed to do homework and study for a test, but this book was too good to stop reading. OOPS. It was worth it, though.)


Alright, let's talk about the protagonist, Nikki. (By the way, I apologize for the incredibly random string of thoughts in this so-called "review". I just have a lot of feelings that I can't express in any organized way.) Anyway, so Nikki is, um, AWESOME. What I like most about her is that she just seems normal. She's not overly shy or timid, but she's not all SUPER TOUGH BAD ASS either. She's just a normal teenage girl. Which made it really easy for me to relate to her. There was never a time in this book where I was like "ARRGGGH WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?!?!" because I understood all of her decisions and why she made them. I felt like I was reading about myself or one of my friends. Nikki was a character that I really connected with.


Oh and the ending? WOAH.
THAT IS ALL I AM GOING TO SAY.


So if you haven't read this yet, I definitely recommend it. An awesome main character, two hot guys, Greek Mythology, with an element of mystery thrown in. This is quite possibly the best combination ever.


-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment