Friday, January 27, 2012

Megan Rambles About Looking For Alaska

From Goodreads:
Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps.

Looking for Alaska brilliantly chronicles the indelible impact one life can have on another. A stunning debut, it marks John Green's arrival as an important new voice in contemporary fiction.



OMG YOU GUYS WHY DID I WAIT THIS LONG TO READ THIS BOOK? WHY, WHY WHY? This book was INCREDIBLE. John Green deserves every bit of praise and every award, etc. that he gets for this book! I loved the format, written with a Before and After, with a HUGE event in the middle.

Miles, AKA Pudge, who I loved very much because he was oh so adorable and nerdy, ends up at Culver Creek. It's a boarding school in Alabama, and basically, it is the boarding school from hell. There is almost nothing to do, and so many rules the kids have rules coming out of their EARS. So a lot of them drink and smoke for fun, which is of course, against the rules. They also prank each other A LOT. And no one is better at pranking than Alaska Young, and no one is better at planning the pranks than Chip AKA the Colonel. Even thought there is so much wrong with this place, like a certain swan that lives in the lake and likes to attack people, I still found myself wanting to go there, because I LOVED the characters. They were all so fun, always joking around, playing video games, and yes occasionally drinking. Okay so they drank often. Whatever.

There was so much I loved about this book. The jokes had me dying of laughter on every single page, usually while I shook my head at how screwed up this school was. Like that time when the Colonel proclaims, "I've been doing some calculations, and I have determined that you are full of shit." I died. *cracks up thinking about it* There were so many quotes and things that I loved that I can't possibly remember them all. But there were basketball games, videogames, hanging out, partying, and a prank war that was so hysterical I literally cried. And that was all Before.

After? Well, I'll let you figure that one out on your own. But it's just like the description says, it changes everything. Basically, GO PICK THIS BOOK UP NOW. You don't want to miss it. And I say that more strongly than I usually do, because seriously. This is the best book ever. *sighs* Yes I KNOW I say that a lot. But really, this book deserves it, and you won't regret buying a copy so you can read it over and over and over again. I know I'm going to.

I'm totally going to reread part of it now! *runs off*
Oh wait! You know I have to say it! *smiles* DFTBA. *waves*
-Megan

THANK YOU RACHEL!! YOU'RE AWESOME!!!
P.S. Look guys! I have a J-Scribble!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment