Saturday, January 14, 2012

Rachel Rambles About Unearthly

From Goodreads:
In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . . Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.


WHY DID I NOT READ THIS BOOK SOONER?! Seriously. This book has been sitting on my shelf for about a year now, and I just got around to reading it. I have no idea WHY I didn't read it before. I must be crazy.


So the first thing that caught my eye about this book was the cover. THE COVER IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL COVER IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. *strokes cover* It's purple and shiny and just so pretty. This totally wins the BEST COVER EVER award, at least in my opinion. I literally haven't shut up about how much I love this cover (just ask Megan). So, yeah. Yay HarperTeen for another amazing cover! *cheers*


I mean, don't judge a book by a cover and all that. Just be sure to take a moment to gaze lovingly at the purple shiny amazingness.


Oh right. The actual book. Um, alright, how do I say this? I LOVE THIS BOOK. I have read a lot about angels and Nephilim and angel-bloods, etc. And to be honest, sometimes I just get really sick of it. But in Unearthly, everything about the angels was incredibly fresh and new and unique. It was truly captivating.

ALSO THERE ARE HOT GUYS! I'm sorry. I'm trying to be professional, I really am. But how can I not freak out about these guys? I love them both, and I think their relationships to the main character, Clara, are both very interesting. But as much as I love Christian, I am totally Team Tucker.



There are several supporting characters in this book that have everything I look for in characters. They are funny, smart, entertaining, and loyal. In this book, Clara isn't obsessed with a boy or anything. She has actual relationships with her mother, her brother, her friends, AND the boys. The world doesn't revolve around a love interest. Clara has several things going on in her life, and she is pretty good at balancing them all.


One of my favorite things about this book was the whole idea of destiny. So many teenagers struggle to discover who they are or what they're supposed to do with their life. But Clara already knows. She knows who she is and what she has to do. This was really refreshing to read about a character like this. It's kind of the opposite of what many YA books are about. 

I still have no idea why I waited so long to read this. I'm an idiot, I guess. Don't make the same mistake I made, people! Read this soon!

Oh. And there's a sequel called Hallowed with an equally beautiful cover that I will be reading immediately. YAY FOR MORE HOT GUYS. *coughs* And, you know, the other stuff. 


-Rachel

P.S. TUCKER AVERY IS MINE.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment