Sunday, January 1, 2012

Rachel Rambles About The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

From Goodreads:

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.


If you saw my In My Mailbox, then you know that I literally just bought this book. And then I came home and immediately started reading it, and about five hours later I was done. I seriously could not put this book down. 

From the moment I heard the title of this book, I knew that it had to be good. And then I saw the cover, and my expectations got higher. And then I read the summary, and I was all "OMG I NEED THIS BOOK NOW!"


This book is a very cute contemporary. And I LOVE cute contemporaries. From the very first page, I was hooked. It started off with a bang, and the rest of the story was fast-paced and compelling and fun and you guys, I'm not kidding when I say that I literally could not put this book down.


In the beginning of the book, the main character, Hadley, misses her plane to England. She's on her way to her father's wedding, and she's not too excited about it. Understandable. I mean, yeah, seeing your father get remarried to some British chick isn't exactly fun. So she's kind of bitter and upset and confused and moody and lonely to begin with. Missing her plane is not helping her at all. 

Let me just say now that I really like Hadley. She's fun and easy to relate to and just normal. She's not killing people or dating vampires or fighting demons. She's a regular seventeen year old girl with regular seventeen year old girl problems. I think that most teenage girls would be able to relate to Hadley in a lot of ways.

So anyway, with three hours to kill until she can catch a later flight, Hadley winds up meeting a boy. A very cute boy. A very British boy. Turns out, they're on the same plane. And hey, not just the same plane. Their seats are right by each other. It must be fate, right?


Hadley and Oliver (cute boy has a name!) spend the seven or so hours on the flight sitting beside each other. They talk for most of the time, getting to know each other. Their conversations are realistic and funny and thoughtful and just perfect.


When the plane lands, they get lost in the chaos of the airport and have to go their separate ways. It seems like, even after sharing such an amazing night together, they might never see each other again. At which point, okay, I may have teared up a bit. Alright, fine. So it definitely happened. Whatever.


This novel keeps you guessing as to where these characters will go and where they'll end up. It's cute and fun and intriguing and fast-paced and thought provoking and heartbreaking and just amazing. And it takes place in twenty four hours. Which is awesome. It makes the book a really quick read, and it really captures love at first sight and the whirlwind romance that ensues.

Hadley is a main character who I can totally relate to, her situation with her family is realistically screwed up, and Oliver is... I mean, I don't even know how to describe him. I WANT an Oliver. Yes. I want my very own Oliver. Could someone please send me an Oliver? Thanks.

To me, this book is the epitome of romance. And the great thing? There are no vampires or demons or apocalypses or guns or superheros (not that I don't love books with those things, 'cause you know I do.) My point is that this book doesn't NEED any of that. This is just two people in an airport, a situation that happens everyday. So simple. But it's written so wonderfully and thoroughly and perfectly. This is definitely one of the best romances I've read... ever.


Definitely get your hands on this book! Five million stars! You won't regret it!
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is my favorite book of 2012. 
Ha. Ha. Ha. Do you see what I did there?
*crickets*
On that note, I'm going to go to the airport and miss my plane by four minutes.
See you later :)
-Rachel






No comments:

Post a Comment