Monday, January 16, 2012

Rachel Rambles About Hallowed

 From Goodreads:
For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought. Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning. 

Let's all just take a moment to stare at the pretty cover. Isn't it just gorgeous? It's even better in real life. I am so obsessed with the covers for Unearthly and Hallowed it is seriously becoming a problem. I keep staring at them and stroking them and whispering sweet nothings to them.


Okay. So I'm exaggerating a little bit. But not that much. (Lies. She is not exaggerating. I have seen it. -Megan)


I read Unearthly a few days ago for the first time, and immediately fell in love with the story. I thought it would be impossible for Hallowed to get any better. And holy crap how wrong I was. Hallowed exceeded my very high expectations, and I liked it even more than Unearthly. Which is saying a lot.


Hallowed has all the things I loved about Unearthly. Basically, it had a lot of Christian and Tucker. OH MY WOW YOU GUYS THESE BOYS ARE SO HOT. I love them both. After reading Unearthly, I was definitely Team Tucker, but now I'm not so sure. I can no longer choose sides. I love them both equally. 

A quick note about love triangles: To be honest, I'm getting really sick of them. But there are definitely certain books that the love triangles are just...perfect in. And Hallowed was definitely one of them. I can completely understand what Clara is going through as she struggles with the choice between Christian and Tucker. It's not like a "two hot guys fight over the girl who really isn't all that special" kind of thing. It's more than that. It's about choices and destiny. The love triangle is done in such a perfect and thorough way that it makes sense. You understand the pain each of the characters is going through, and you have no idea where they will end up.


This book brought so many surprise twists and turns. Just when you think you are finally caught up on everything that is happening... BAM! Another secret is revealed. Then, as you're still trying to recover from that big twist, ANOTHER SHOCKING THING HAPPENS. There were so many things that I could never have seen coming. This book kept me on my toes, in the best possible way.

One thing I wasn't expecting about Hallowed was the PURE EMOTION. I cried while reading this...several times. My heart was breaking along with Clara's throughout this novel, and I don't even know if it will ever be healed. By this point, I have grown so attached to all the characters in this story. So much that I feel like I actually know them. Their pain is my pain and all that.


I love when a book makes me feel such strong emotions. It's a really amazing thing to develop such a deep connection with a PIECE OF FREAKING PAPER. So I definitely give this book five thousand stars or whatever. It was even better than Unearthly, and I am DYING for the last book to come out. 

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment